Diss suffer painful defeat in derby match at North Walsham

Hal Riley in full flight for North Walsham during Saturday's derby win over Diss at Scottow. Picture

Hal Riley in full flight for North Walsham during Saturday's derby win over Diss at Scottow. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

Diss received a true reality check against local rivals North Walsham in Saturday's London One North derby encounter at Scottow.

The visitors had reduced the deficit to within striking distance with the final quarter remaining only to be cut to pieces as the game drifted to its conclusion.

Yet again the Diss defensive line was breached early in the game following a loss of possession from an attacking position.

Todd Scotland then raced through a number of weak tackles to increase the Walsham lead with only 15 minutes played.

Diss managed to secure a platform from which their dominant forwards put the Walsham eight under intense pressure to finally be awarded a penalty try. Unfortunately Diss were unable to capitalise and soon found themselves on the back foot for the rest of the half.

The visitors' eight were certainly a match for the Walsham eight and all afternoon produced quality possession from which to attack. However, the Walsham defence was in an unforgiving mood, enabling their three quarters to attack at pace, coupled with a high level of accuracy.

Led by Josh Brown, who proved a huge threat all afternoon, Walsham scored three further tries to lead 31-7 at half-time.

Most Read

Diss had the better of the third quarter and began to put Walsham under pressure, creating attacking opportunities on the front foot, with Chris Beaird crashingd through a number of tackles to send Joe Hegarty through at pace to score a try.

Diss now enjoyed a period of control and following intelligent approach work, Todd Wishart stepped inside the Walsham defence to score a very well taken third try.

Diss now had a chance to not only achieve a bonus point but close the gap on the home side but a lack of concentration and ball retention allowed Walsham to capitalise.

The home side saw the game out scoring a further four tries without any response from Diss. The visitors had possession in the final minutes but in the search for that crucial bonus point lost possession on at least two occasions. Walsham showed that accuracy in both defence and attack, whilst playing the game at pace, are crucial at this level.

Diss will be aiming to bounce back on Saturday when they welcome Saffron Walden to Mackenders.