Diss Town 0 Godmanchester Rovers 7 – More misery for struggling Diss
- Credit: Archant
The Tangerines' fortunes took a further dip when they slumped to their heaviest defeat of the season at home to Godmanchester Rovers in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division on Saturday.
Conceding an early goal has been a feature of too many of the Tangerines' matches so far this season. Diss supporters had that familiar sinking feeling when Ben Yeomans scored from close range to give the visitors the lead in the ninth minute.
Matt Dixon had a couple of shots just off target approaching the half-hour mark, but that was the closest the Tangerines got to finding the net, as they again found it difficult to apply any sustained pressure on the opposition. In fact, Diss had to rely on keeper Chris Bird to make a series of fine saves to restrict the visitors to a one goal advantage. However, the Tangerines did not quite manage to hold out until the half-time whistleas Yeomans tapped in Bowen's cross to make it 2-0 to the Rovers at the end of added time.
The game looked beyond Diss as early as the 52nd minute when James Hall side-footed home a low centre from Hyem after Mitchell lost possession to give Godmanchester a 3-0 lead. Godmanchester had to wait a further 25 minutes to increase their tally due to a combination of some improved defending by Diss and some missed opportunities by the Rovers.
Hyem eventually scored the fourth when the Tangerines only half-cleared a corner in the 77th minute.
There then followed three goals in six minutes to give the visitors an emphatic victory.
Hyem scored the fifth in the 84th minute with a low strike from just outside the penalty area. Tom Meecham then rose unmarked to head home a corner in the 87th minute to make it 6-0.
- 1 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 2 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 3 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 6 'No excuses' is the message as festive anti-drink drive campaign launched
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 9 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout
Finally Meecham was brought down by Callum Webb in the 90th minute. This earned Webb a red card, having been booked in the first half. Bird dived the right direction but Hyem slammed home the penalty.
The Tangerines face another tough challenge on Saturday, when they have to visit table-topping Hadleigh United who are undefeated so far this season.
Diss Town: Chris Bird, Ashley Mitchell, Callum Webb, Chris Collins-Reed, Sam Newton, Armando Alves, Jacob Brown (Capt), Chris Holmes, Eoin O'Herlihy, Jordan Rocastle, Matt Dixon,
Subs: Jack Flynn, Jordan Lake, Alfie Griew. Unused: Warren Williams
Godmanchester Rovers: Niall Conroy, Matt Bannister, Christopher Hyem (Capt), Jason King, Charlie Bowen, Ben Yeomans, Austen Diaper, Michael Hyem, Thomas Meechan, Jamie Blackwell, James Hall
Subs: Tom Spark, Matthew Haniver, Jordan Brockett,
Referee: G Laflin