Diss Town avoid upset to book place in last 16 of Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Diss Town came from two down inside 20 minutes to beat Anglian Combination Premier Division side Caister and move into the last 16 of the Norfolk Senior Cup.
The game was just three minutes old when Gaz Ward was given too much time and space on the edge of the area at a free-kick, which meant he could turn with ease and send his right foot shot into the top corner.
A Keegan Middleton free-kick from 22 yards then took a wicked deflection off the wall to wrong foot Jake Heyhoe to make it 2-0.
The Tangerines pulled a goal back from a free-kick just outside the penalty area in the 29th minute. Stephen Vincent sent the ball over for Tom Ramsay to rise unmarked and head in from four yards out.
Caister were then penalised for taking a throw-in from the wrong position in the 37th minute. The throw-in was awarded to Diss and taken quickly from near halfway on the left, with Jake Gathercole releasing Virgilio Leitao to run into space and beat the goalkeeper on the edge of the area. He then played the ball across to Charlie Lambe who took his time to control the ball and guide his shot wide of the defender on the line.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes later Will Goulding curled a 20 yard free-kick towards the far post, goalkeeper Jordan Huggins was unable to hold the shot and Lambe beat him to the loose ball to make it 3-2 at the interval.
The second half was played at a much slower pace than the first, with Diss keeping the game tight, but still thankful that Heyhoe was in good form and able to make two crucial saves early in the half. Diss made the game safe in the 81st minute when Goulding sent his first time right foot shot from 10 yards out into the far corner of the net.
- 1 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 10 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
Diss Town: Heyhoe, Pope, Beeson, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Goulding, Gathercole, Leitao, Doyle, Lambe. Subs: Sparrow (for Doyle 61), Priestley (for Leitao 81s), Bowen (for Lambe 89) and Lewis Riches. Attendance: 71.
The draw for the third tound will be made on BBC Radio Norfolk on Friday between 6.30 and 7pm.
Diss continue a busy month with a home league game against Little Oakley on Saturday (3pm). They then visit Swaffham on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Diss Town's Under-18s were beaten 9-1 at Great Yarmouth Town U18 with Josh Lucraft scoring their goal from the penalty spot.