Diss Town avoid upset to book place in last 16 of Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Diss Town came from two down inside 20 minutes to beat Anglian Combination Premier Division side Caister and move into the last 16 of the Norfolk Senior Cup.
The game was just three minutes old when Gaz Ward was given too much time and space on the edge of the area at a free-kick, which meant he could turn with ease and send his right foot shot into the top corner.
A Keegan Middleton free-kick from 22 yards then took a wicked deflection off the wall to wrong foot Jake Heyhoe to make it 2-0.
The Tangerines pulled a goal back from a free-kick just outside the penalty area in the 29th minute. Stephen Vincent sent the ball over for Tom Ramsay to rise unmarked and head in from four yards out.
Caister were then penalised for taking a throw-in from the wrong position in the 37th minute. The throw-in was awarded to Diss and taken quickly from near halfway on the left, with Jake Gathercole releasing Virgilio Leitao to run into space and beat the goalkeeper on the edge of the area. He then played the ball across to Charlie Lambe who took his time to control the ball and guide his shot wide of the defender on the line.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes later Will Goulding curled a 20 yard free-kick towards the far post, goalkeeper Jordan Huggins was unable to hold the shot and Lambe beat him to the loose ball to make it 3-2 at the interval.
The second half was played at a much slower pace than the first, with Diss keeping the game tight, but still thankful that Heyhoe was in good form and able to make two crucial saves early in the half. Diss made the game safe in the 81st minute when Goulding sent his first time right foot shot from 10 yards out into the far corner of the net.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 5 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 All you need to know ahead of the Old Buckenham Airshow 2021
- 10 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
Diss Town: Heyhoe, Pope, Beeson, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Goulding, Gathercole, Leitao, Doyle, Lambe. Subs: Sparrow (for Doyle 61), Priestley (for Leitao 81s), Bowen (for Lambe 89) and Lewis Riches. Attendance: 71.
The draw for the third tound will be made on BBC Radio Norfolk on Friday between 6.30 and 7pm.
Diss continue a busy month with a home league game against Little Oakley on Saturday (3pm). They then visit Swaffham on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Diss Town's Under-18s were beaten 9-1 at Great Yarmouth Town U18 with Josh Lucraft scoring their goal from the penalty spot.