Diss Town beaten at home again
Diss Town 1, Mildenhall Town 3
Diss were beaten at home in the Ridgeons League Premier Division for the sixth time this season.
It has been a season in which the Tangerines have struggled for goals.
Manager Rob Taylor introduced his latest signing, Steve Harley, as a second-half substitute. Ironically, it was a former Diss striker who was on form in this game as Andrew Wood scored a hat-trick.
In the eighth minute, Wayne Proctor played a pass for Wood to move to the edge of the penalty area and shoot into the far corner to put Mildenhall ahead.
Diss replied quickly with George Watts-Sturrock forcing Josh Pope to make a good save to his rising shot. There was a good spell of Diss attacking play with Pope working hard to keep his team ahead and in the 17th minute he had to be alert to keep out a deflected James Pipe shot after a good pass from George Cole over the visiting defence.
Mark Shadrack cleared the ball in the 26th minute, but it was returned into the penalty area by David Cooper and struck Shadrack on the arm. A penalty was awarded, to the amazement of home players and supporters.
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 6 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 8 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Wood sent Matty Webster the wrong way from the spot to make it 2-0.
It could have been a lot worse for the Tangerines, but Shadrack made a goal-line clearance to deny Steve Holder.
Mildenhall failed to clear the ball from a crowded penalty area in the 35th minute and the ball was sent back into the danger area by Sam Bryant for Pipe to run, take the ball and turn to shoot low and hard past Pope for his 10th goal of the season.
Webster made a good save to deny Michael Harvey early in the second half, but his team could not capitalise and draw level.
In the 79th minute Wood broke free, beat two defenders and sent a low shot in for the goal of the game to complete his hat-trick.
Diss: Matty Webster, Aarron Taylor, Stuart Garner, Gareth Leggett, Mark Shadrack, George Cole, Jonny King, Jamie Speller, James Pipe, George Watts-Sturrock, Sam Bryant. Diss subs: Steve Harley (for Taylor 74 mins), Joel Brien, Andy Moody, Jason Cole (for S Bryant 59 mins) and Tom Bryant (for Watts-Sturrock 62 mins).