Diss Town bow out of FA Vase after failing to build on two goal lead

Diss Town manager Jason Cook saw his side give higher ranked Dereham Town a good game in the Norfolk

Diss Town manager Jason Cook saw his side give higher ranked Dereham Town a good game in the Norfolk Senior Cup. Picture: Denise Bradley - Credit: Archant

Diss Town fell at the first hurdle in this year's FA Vase after a 3-2 extra-time defeat to local rivals Framlingham Town at Brewers Green Lane.

The Tangerines went into the match very much the underdogs after the recent 7-0 league thumping by Framlingham, but a much improved display saw them run the visitors close.

Town's defence looked more secure with new signing Tom Ramsey making his debut while the return of Wesley Doyle to the starting 11 gave Diss more stability in midfield.

The lively Nuno Nogueira tested the Framlingham defence with a 22nd minute free-kick and in the 26th minute the game burst into life as Jake Gathercole and Nogueira combined on the left to set up Virgillio Leitao who finished with a precise right foot.

The home fans had barely finished cheering when Leitao struck again to put Diss two goals to the good. A long cross found the Diss hit-man on the left and after controlling the ball a deft flick of his boot saw Leitao leave Sam Chilvers in the Framlingham goal stranded.

Man-of-the-moment Leitao then came agonisingly close to a hat-trick in the 36th minute when his shot was turned behind.

The Tangerines suffered an injury blow at half-time as Nogueira was unable to continue, being replaced by Ryan Sparrow for the second half. Diss were increasingly on the back foot and in the 55th minute a cross from the left saw centre back Matt Aldiss head home.

Most Read

Town were now clinging on and in the 74th minute the visitors pulled level. A long ball caught the Diss defence with too high a line, allowing the Framlingham No 9 to round keeper Riches and roll the ball into the empty net.

The 90 minutes finished 2-2 so the match headed into 30 minutes of extra time. Diss replaced Luke Priestly with Lewis Cookeand Cooke almost scored with his first touch as a near post header was acrobatically saved. As the break beckoned Framlingham took the lead for the first time when a break down the left resulting in a shot rifled past Riches.

Diss felt they shoud have equalised when Cooke's 30 yard shot hit the underside of the bar and appeared to go in but the referee was unsighted and was unable to award the goal.

Diss are back in Thurlow Nunn League action on Saturday when they travel to King's Lynn Town Reserves.