Diss Town end search for win

Wivenhoe Town 0 Diss Town 2

DISS Town visited Broad Lane, Wivenhoe for the first time and completed their first half of the league season with their sixth win to end a run of five league games without a win.

The half-term report will read , 'many promising performances on the return after a lengthy absence from the top flight which would had yielded many more points had chances been converted into goals'.

The first chances of the game fell to Jamie Speller, but he headed wide when unmarked. The game then drifted into a pattern of play where neither goalkeeper was troubled and attempts on goal were a rarity.

Five minutes before the break the tempo increased when Matty Webster dived at the feet of Ben License to block his shot after he had pushed out a free-kick from Tom Cutts.

This sparked Diss into attacking action and they took the lead in the 42nd minute. Stuart Garner played a corner to Joel Brien and he sent a low cross into the area for James Pipe to shoot high into the net from 10 yards out for his eighth goal of the season. Another corner from Garner moments before the break resulted in a fine save from Adam Wilding to keep out a header from Brendan Foley.

The Tangerines started the second half in the same vein of attacking play that they had finished the first half with. Two minutes into the half Garner sent a free-kick in from the left and Pipe headed the ball on for Stefan Gilding to head in for his first goal of the season.

Most Read

Late in the game Gilding forced Wilding to make a fine save and Webster denied Tim Dennis from snatching a goal which would have set up a tense finish.

Diss: Webster, King, Garner, Gilding, Foley, Shadrack, T Bryant, Speller (Holden 89), Pipe (Moody 87), Brien, S Bryant (Cole 74). Sub not used: Leggett.

Attendance: 82.

Diss Town Res 0 Woodbridge Town Res 3

Diss Reserves had a much changed and very young team and played well in the second half, but a strong first half showing secured a first league win of the season for Woodbridge Reserves.

All three goals came in the first half and while Diss looked a different side after the break they couldn't find a way back into the game.

Diss' Under-18s also lost at home, going down 4-1 to their Bungay counterparts.

Diss had gone ahead in the 13th minute through Kai Hines.