Leiston Reserves 2 Diss Town 5: Tangerines finally have something to smile about
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town ended a run of just one point from eight league games when they completed a double against Leiston Reserves to move up two places in the table.
Both teams scored inside the opening four minutes.
In the third minute Diss were awarded a free-kick in an attacking position but gave the ball away and Louie Bloom ran from inside his own half before slotting the ball past the advancing Jake Hayhoe.
Within a minute Diss attacked and Keiran Hagan played a fine pass out to Ryan Beeston, starting for the first time since September 15. He moved into the area and sent a low left foot shot in off the far post.
A lengthy delay to attend to a leg injury to home defender Toby Groom disrupted the pattern of play before Diss got their noses in front.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Vincent moved into space in the 26th minute and sent a fierce 30 yard left foot shot against the bar before Virgilio Leitao headed in the rebound from 10 yards out. Nicky Shopov came close to a stoppage time equaliser when he struck a shot against the bar.
Hayhoe denied Bloom early in the second half with another fine save. Hagan was having a fine game and in the 52nd minute he cut in from the left and beat two defenders before sending his shot from 12 yards out over. But Diss moved into a 3-1 lead in the 59th minute when good work from Reece White, Nogueira and Hagan found Vincent in space 22 yards from goal and he sent his left foot shot soaring into the top corner.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 6 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 9 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
Leiston pulled a goal back when a 65th minute from Josh Moore was palmed in at the far post by Hayhoe.
Hagan was again involved as Diss restored a two goal lead eight minutes later. He moved in from the left and was tripped by James Gaffer. The Tangerines were awarded their first penalty of the season and Vincent put his shot into the corner despite goalkeeper Harry Lay-Fulcher getting fingers to the ball. Two minutes later Beeston capped a fine return by completing the scoring with a left foot shot from outside the area.
Team: Hayhoe, White, Last, Pain, Tipple, Hagan, Vincent, Nogueira (Lucraft 69), Leitao (Clarke 81), Betson, Beeston (Payne 81). Subs not used: Moore, Colclough.
Diss Town are away at Ipswich Wanderers on Saturday (3pm).