Cornard United 3 Diss Town 1: Tangerines unable to build on first half lead
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town were beaten by the team directly above them in the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North table, despite leading at half-time.
After a strong start from Cornard the first chance fell to Diss in the sixth minute. Connor Kerry laid a well delivered free-kick from James Baughurst across for Keiran Hagan to take forward ut he shot over via the top of the bar from five yards out.
Three minutes later a bouncing through ball was missed by the Diss defence and Jack Graham raced away and should have done better than shoot wide of the far post. The Tangerines were being put under pressure and lost possession near to their corner flag with the resultant cross being blasted high over the bar from 10 yards out by Max Dinnell.
In the 26th minute the Tangerines got their noses in front when Josh Lucraft curled a free-kick into the danger area for central defender Jack Tipple to move past a static defence and head in from six yards.
Cornard missed a great chance to equalise in the 39th minute. Andrew Scofield made a good run down the left and Reece White sliced an attempted clearance against a post. The ball fell for Dinnell in space but he smashed the ball over via the bar from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Dinnell made up for his first half miss when he moved towards a right wing corner to rise and head home the equaliser in the 50th minute. Cornard were now in the ascendency and Sean Bartlett scored twice inside three minutes from the 65th minute. Bradley Dix played a good ball in from the left for the first goal, Bartlett scoring with a confident back heel flick from close range. Kingsley Barnes then made a poor kick-out and the ball fell to Graham 35 yards out. He tried his luck and his shot deflected into the path of Bartlett who fired home with the visiting defence out of position.
Team: Barnes, White, Last, Baughurst (Staines 68), Pain, Tipple, Hagan, Betson, Lucraft (Baxter 65), Kerry, Bray (Lanchester 82).
- 1 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 2 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
- 3 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 4 'Exceptional demand' as thousands in Norfolk seek coronavirus hardship fund help
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
- 7 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 9 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 10 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
Diss Town are without a fixture on Saturday.
Leaders Harleston Town suffered a surprise home defeat at the hands of Fakenham Town, with Alex Walpole's goal late in the first half settling the issue.
They are now three points clear of second placed Mulbarton Wanderers, who drew 0-0 at Norwich CBS. On Saturday Harleston visit Downham Town while the Mulberries are without a game.
Diss Town Under-18s went down 2-1 at home to Waveney (Charlie Bowen) while the Under-15 Hawks beat Norwich Corinthians 2-1 in the Kappa Cup (Tommy Seymour 2).