Diss Town have to settle for a point as hosts score late free-kick
- Credit: Archant
The derby between Debenham Leisure Centre and Diss Town ended in a 1-1 draw, although the only real winner on the day was the wind which had a major effect on the play.
Neither team could cope with it as both found that when attacking towards the Leisure Centre end the ball raced through for a goal-kick while corners taken from the right wing at that end flew across and out for a throw.
The strong wind increased to become severe in the second half, although that was when both scores were scored.
Debenham attacked with the wind at their backs in the first half but did not create a chance until the 30th minute. A crossfield pass from the left eluded everybody until it reached Barney Collins, who had moved up unnoticed and unmarked from right back, but he shot wide across the face of goal from an acute angle.
Keiran Hagan forced home goalkeeper Sam Chilvers to make two saves in the closing stages of the first half. Charlie Webb and Keats Staines linked up to create the 39th minute shot and just before half-time, after pressure at a corner, Staines played the ball into the danger area for Hagan to shoot at the goalkeeper. From the next corner Jack Tipple had an effort held by Chilvers.
You may also want to watch:
The Tangerines took the lead in the 49th minute when Josh Lucraft played a perfect through ball for Charlie Webb to move clear of the defence, control the ball and shoot in from eight yards out. Diss came close to increasing the lead in the 74th minute; Webb beat the offside trap and forced a save, Hagan retrieved the ball and crossed for Staines to head against the top of the bar.
As the game was about to move into added time Jack Tipple was doubly punished for a foul on the edge of the D as he received a yellow card and Debenham equalised. Bradley Austin took advantage of a poorly set wall to stroke the low kick well inside the post.
- 1 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
- 2 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 3 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 4 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Specialist exercises for 'less mobile' during lockdown
- 7 Revenue tops £710m at specialist tech company
- 8 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
Team: Barnes, White (Ramm 85), Last, Baughurst, Lanchester, Tipple, Hagan, Betson, Webb, Staines (Baxter 77), Lucraft. Subs unused: Hunt, Bray. Attendance: 58.
Diss are at home against Needham Market Reserves on Saturday (3pm) in their latest Thurlow Nunn League Division One North fixture.
A late goal from Ben Clements earned Diss Under Hawks a 1-0 win at Sheringham in the quarter-finals of the Kappa Cup.