Diss Town FC round-up

Diss Town made an FA Carlsberg Vase exit last weekend.

Newmarket Town 3, Diss Town 0.

DISS were drawn away at Newmarket Town, from the Ridgeons divison above, in the opening round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

Their chances of progressing ended in controversial style in the 63rd minute. U18 team captain Damien Phelan, who was making his first team debut due to Chris Gibbons being taken ill on the morning of the match, was at the centre of the incident. After putting in a fine performance, Phelan was adjudged by referee Sean Ferrick to have intentionally handled a ball that struck high up on his arm as the ball seemed to be running out of play.

Ex-Tangerine Jon Olive slotted the penalty kick past Mark Camidge, playing due to the shoulder injury suffered by Matty Webster in the previous game, to put the Jockeys ahead. The injustice felt by players, club members and supporters led to skipper Brendan Foley being sent off for his continuing protests.

With the score still at 1-0, Diss felt that a high challenge of Stuart Garner should have resulted in a penalty kick at the other end. However, play was waved on.

Most Read

Stephen Bell cut in from the right wing following a breakaway in the 70th minute and shot in to make it 2-0. David Grainger completed the scoring in added time following a fine run.

Diss now return to league action following their early exit from the two national cup competitions and will be looking to convert their good shows against two teams from higher leagues into valuable league points.

Diss Town Reserves 2, Dereham Town Reserves 1.

DISS Reserves made it three wins from three games played with a 2-1 win over their Dereham Town counterparts.

This was by far their most difficult game so far this season. The first-half action was even, with Kirk Bardsley narrowly off-target for Diss and Aaron Bunn making one good save, with another Dereham effort deflected wide.

The game sprang into life just before half-time. In the 41st minute a corner was taken on the left by Bardsley and Carl Branson headed in from five yards out. The lead was to last just 90 seconds. Troy Bond sent a low 30-yard free-kick towards the Diss goal. Bunn pushed the ball away and Scott Woodgate was quick to react to turn the loose ball in from six yards out.

It seemed as though the teams would cancel each other out in the second half until a strong finish to the match from Diss produced a winning goal.

It came in the 85th minute, when Karl Ansley sent the ball in from the right wing. It bounced inside the penalty area and Bardsley steered his right-foot shot low into the corner of the net from eight yards out for his sixth goal in three games.

Bardsley forced a good save from Matt Powley as the game went into added time, and deep into added time Ansley was off-target after a fine attack from Bardsley.

Diss Reserves manager's player of the game: Wayne Collins, who had a superb match at left-back, probably his best-ever Diss performance.

Diss Town A travelled to Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves to play a strong Mulbarton side in the opening game of the season and won 2-0. Good work from James Casbard down the right resulted in the ball breaking for Ben Green in the box and he beat his man brilliantly before finishing well into the bottom corner. The second came when Jordan Balls fed the ball into Lloyd Miller's feet and he bundled his way past two defenders before smashing the ball into the net from an acute angle. Diss defended well and came away with a good three points. MoM: Lee Tricker for a commanding display at the back.

Diss Town A travelled to Division Two side Sporle for a second-round Ben Smith Memorial Cup game and were beaten 3-2, sending them into the Ambulance Cup.

The game started in disastrous fashion for the visitors, who found themselves 1-0 down inside 60 seconds when the striker floated the ball over Dan Philpot from 40 yards. Philpot saved well to keep the score at 1-0.

After several Diss chances, Sporle doubled their lead in controversial fashion. Diss scored when Lloyd Miller flicked the ball on for James Casbard (MoM), who finished well into the bottom corner. Sporle made it 3-1 against the run of play.

Diss scored again when Miller chipped the ball to Casbard, who lobbed the keeper brilliantly with his left foot.

DISS U18 started the 2010/11 season with a home match against Woodbridge Town and it ended 2-2. They got off to a nervous start and were two goals down inside seven minutes. Only three of the starting 11 had played in this league before.

However, they fought back strongly and deserved their point when George Cole scored his second goal of the game in added time. He burst through from 35 yards out and smashed his shot into the corner of the net from 12 yards out. He was named man of the match.

Diss U18 will be at home tonight (Thursday) against Needham Market U18 in a FA Youth Cup, preliminary round tie (kick-off 7.45pm). There is another cup tie a week later when the U18s entertain Great Yarmouth U18 in the Ridgeons Youth League Cup.