Needham Market Res 2 Diss Town 4: Tangerines get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town ended an eight-game run without a win on Tuesday evening when they won away against a very youthful Needham Market Reserves team that are at the foot of the table.
Early pressure from Diss produced a two goal lead inside the first 20 minutes and they created many chances to win by a more convincing score.
The Tangerines went close on several occasions before taking the lead on 11 minutes when a corner was headed away and Stephen Vincent sent a left foot volley from outside the penalty area flashing into the far corner..
Will Goulding played a fine pass from a central position out wide to Charlie Lambe on the right in the 20th minute and his perfect centre was headed inches under the bar from six yards out by top scorer Virgilio Leitao to make it 2-0.
At this stage it seemed that Diss would go on to record a big win but they were pegged back by a rash challenge from Tom Ramsay in the 28th minute and from the resulting penalty kick Tyler Rose halved the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Diss went close to extending their lead on a number of occasions before the break and had an even better chance to make it 3-1 in the 51st minute when Lambe was brought down in the box. But Cook made a brilliant double save to palm away the penalty kick from Leitao and the follow-up shot from Goulding.
The precarious nature of the 2-1 lead was demonstrated two minutes later when a fine run from Ben Frost ended with him smashing a shot against a Diss post.
- 1 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 4 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
Diss finally went 3-1 ahead in the 72nd minute. Lambe intercepted a clearance from Cook 35 yards from goal before running forward and moving into the penalty area to slide his shot past the home goalkeeper. It took Needham just two minutes to reduce the lead back to a single goal, Bowen McCrory moved forward in an inside right position and sent a low shot into the far corner.
Diss finally secured the points in the 88th minute. A corner from the right wing taken by Vincent was dropped by Cook. This allowed Ramsay the chance to knock the ball towards goal from two yards out and Leitao to apply the finishing touch for his second brace inside four days.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Lopes, Beeston, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Lambe, Nogueira, Leitao, Goulding, Fena. Subs: Bullen-Parry, Payne, Disney (for Goulding 89), Perry, Hembery.