Lakenheath 3 Diss Town 1: Tangerines feeling hard done by after defeat


- Credit: Archant

Diss Town visited newly-promoted Lakenheath in a first ever competitive meeting between the two teams.

The Tangerines led 1-0 at half-time and then felt aggrieved by several second half decisions as their hosts scored three times.

Lakenheath opened well but found Jake Hayhoe in good form and Diss took the lead in the 19th minute when Ryan Beeston headed a pass forward for Ashley Rankin to move into the penalty area and float the ball over the head of the advancing goalkeeper.

Diss were now in the ascendency and Beeston had a free-kick blocked before a centre from Stephen Vincent was deflected inches wide.

A key incident came a minute into the second half. Virgilio Leitao seemed to be fouled by Ayden Duffy just outside the penalty area but the referee ruled that the home keeper had got to the ball. Matt Hayden, who had a brief spell at Diss a few seasons ago, then exchanged passes with Williams before shooting in to equalise on the break in the 55th minute.

Hayhoe made a brilliant save when he tipped away a 25 yard shot from Jordan Baker that seemed destined for the top corner. Shortly afterwards Diss protested strongly as Hayden Pain seemed to be pushed in the build-up to Kelvin Enaro receiving the ball in space before shooting in after 75 minutes.

Four minutes later Duffy raced just outside his penalty area and clattered into Stacey Payne, with the card shown just a yellow. The free-kick was cleared after a lengthy delay, with both players receiving treatment.

Most Read

Diss were calling for substitutions to be made in a break of play in the 87th minute and Lakenheath broke for Hayden to complete the scoring with a low shot from the edge of the area.

Diss Town: Hayhoe, Last, Beeston, Cornish, Flurrie, Pain, Vincent, Moore, Leitao, Rankin, Betson. Subs: Goulding (for Vincent 88), Payne (for Rankin 72), Riches, Lambe (for Leitao 88).

Diss failed to build on a dream start as they suffered a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Debenham LC on Tuesday night. The Tangerines went ahead in the opening minute when Ashley Rankin chased a back pass and beat keeper Ross Welton to the ball. Debenham were back on level terms in the 18th minute through Lamel Howe and deservedly scored what proved to be the winner on the hour mark when Howe rifled home his second of the night. Town visit AFC Sudbury Reserves on Saturday (3pm).

Diss Under-18s came from one down to beat AFC Royals 2-1 (Ryan Newson, Nathan Faulkner) while Diss Under-15s won 3-0 at Heigham Park Rangers (Jack Glen, Joe Hilton, Ben Clements).