Cornard 1 Diss Town 0: Tangerines beaten by late goal at Cornard
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town travelled to Cornard for their first away game of 2018 in Thurlow Nunn League Division One and were beaten by a last gasp goal.
Manager Jason Cook introduced three new three new signings to his starting 11 — Kevin Riches came in to a central back three, Stacey Payne was introduced at left wing back and Shanell Clarke in attack alongside top scorer Virgilio Leitao.
Jake Hayhoe was called into action in the third minute when he dived low to his left to turn away a 20 yard shot from Ryan McGibbon.
The Tangerines' best move of the first half came down the left wing in the 24th minute. Payne, Stephen Vincent and Leitao linked up before Clarke played the ball across for Nuno Nogueira to shoot wide from a central position 20 yards out.
Clarke was having a promising debut and his shot on the turn from just outside the penalty area was only a couple of feet high in the 34th minute. Three minutes later Vincent sent in a curling left foot shot from 20 yards but goalkeeper Matt Groves leapt high to his right to tip the ball over.
You may also want to watch:
Diss came out brightly in the second half and Groves reacted quickly in the 57th minute to race out and block at the feet of Leitao after Nogueira had gone on a fine run and played the ball through.
Cornard played for three minutes with 10 men as a player stormed off, having been shown a yellow card, with his replacement not ready to come on. Diss, with better composure ought to have taken advantage, but their attempts to score were often hurried.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 3 Severe delays on the A140 in Newton Flotman
- 4 'Be kind... be thoughtful' - Paramedic's plea for fuel calm goes viral
- 5 'We felt it was a home for life' - 16th century care home to become family home
- 6 Record Covid-19 rates among Norfolk children, but overall rates fall
- 7 A chance for Norfolk's social care sector to shine!
- 8 Locations revealed for Norfolk's new £500k art trail
- 9 Opinion: Helping loved ones with housing costs
- 10 School launches innovative 'nurture’ classrooms to help challenged pupils
With seconds of the 90 minutes remaining Cornard scored the only goal of the game. McGibbon flicked on a through ball which hit Hayhoe who had advanced outside his penalty area on the leg. The ball fell to Billy Coe 25 yards out and he sent the ball into the unguarded goal. Five minutes of added time were played and with the very last kick of it Groves made the save of the game to deny Vincent sent.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Lambe, Payne, Riches, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Nogueira, Leitao, Clarke, Gathercole. Subs unused: Disney, Malin, McAra, Lopes. Riches.
Diss Town are at home to bottom of the table Team Bury on Saturday (3pm). The Tangerines then travel to second from bottom Needham Market Reserves on Tuesday (7.45pm).