Diss Town suffer more home misery as Braintree Reserves take points
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town's poor run continued on Saturday with a third straight home defeat.
Town welcomed back Nuno Nogueira and gave new signing Charlie Mcara his debut but it was not enough to stem a slump in form since winning four out of five in the run up to Christmas.
The Tangerines began well, with a clever first minute pass inside the full back from Virgilio Leitao setting up Nogueira. His cross seemed as if it was going to break to Mcara in a scoring position but the defence dealt with the danger.
Town were moving the ball well without seriously threatening the Braintree goal. The visitors too played their part in an entertaining opening and went close when a shot was deflected past Diss keeper Jake Hayhoe only to be cleared off the line by Ryan Beeston.
Town too came close when they too had a shot cleared from the line followed by a Mcara shot that went inches wide.
You may also want to watch:
It seemed to be a different Diss team that emerged for the second half and immediately the visitors seized the initiative. The inability to deal with pace and movement soon showed itself as Braintree broke swiftly down the left setting up a chance in the 48th minute that was rifled home from 12 yards.
The game looked very different now, with Diss struggling to cope with the Braintree forward line and offering little in the way of attacking threat.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 8 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 9 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
In the 65th minute a long ball forward saw the visitors double their lead. Tom Ramsey and Jack Tipple both went for the same ball, neither dealt with it and Braintree were left with an easy chance. They added a third in the 72nd minute with a low shot across Hayhoe into the corner.
There were a couple of late chances for Diss to snatch a consolation with both Leitao and Ramsey seeing headers go just over — however on the second half displays Diss can few complaints.
Diss, who are without a game on Saturday, need to address a run that has seen three successive heavy home defeats — without a goal scored.
They were due to have travelled to Leiston Reserves on Tuesday evening but the game was postponed.
Team: Hayhoe, Burt, Beeston, Tipple, Ramsey, Nogueira, Lambe, Doddington, Leitao, Mcara, Vincent, Subs: Riches, O'Donoghue, Gathercole, Disney.