Diss Town pick up three points after encouraging home display
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town and Little Oakley met for the first time in a competitive match in Thurlow Nunn League Division One on Saturday.
The Tangerines played some of their best passing football of the season as they kept the well ball on the excellent surface and thorouighly deserved their win.
Sol Pope was putting in some menacing centres from the right, one of which led to the opening goal after 25 minutes.
Stephen Vincent headed the ball across for Virgilio Leitao to play the ball back to Nuno Nogueira who created space for himself and shot into the corner of the net from 12 yards out. It was the first goal for the Tangerines from the Portuguese player.
The final three minutes of the first half produced two excellent saves from goalkeeper Luke Tynan and a ninth goal of the season for the Tangerines' Portuguese striker Leitao. Bruno Fena, on his first start, took the ball off a defender 30 yards from goal and moved into the penalty area before forcing Tynan to use his feet to make the save.
You may also want to watch:
In the next attack Leitao cut out a defensive pass and forced Tynan to make a diving save, with Lambe putting the loose ball over. The second Diss goal came as the half moved into added time; Vincent played the ball through for Leitao to use his pace and strength to hold off defenders before shooting in from 10 yards out.
Diss had plenty of chances to score a third goal and make the game safe, with Tom Ramsay's effort blocked by Tynan and both Nogueira and Vincent striking the woodwork.
- 1 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 2 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 3 New head unveiled at high school with 'so much potential'
- 4 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 5 How will exam grades and primary school tests work this summer?
- 6 Cash For Charities: Win a share of £20,000 for your favourite good cause
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Woman died after crash on way to visit mother's grave
- 9 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
- 10 Water safety campaign launched ahead of summer of staycations
The game took a twist in the 73rd minute when Shaun Koussis curled in a free-kick from 25 yards around the wall and into the corner. Diss battle with 10 men for the last five minutes to see out the game when Jack Tipple collected two yellow cards inside a seven-minute spell.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Pope, Smith, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Gathercole, Nogueira, Leitao, Fena, Lambe. Subs: Priestley (for Leitao 87), Goulding (for Fena 87).
Sponsor: Robin Knowles. Attendance: 92.
Diss Town will be away to Dereham Town in the last 16 of the Norfolk Senior Cup, with the game set for either November 14 or 21.
Diss continue a busy month at Halstead on Saturday (3pm). They are then at home to Ross Potter's Wroxham on Tuesday evening (7.45pm) in the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup.