Diss Town pick up three points after encouraging home display
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town and Little Oakley met for the first time in a competitive match in Thurlow Nunn League Division One on Saturday.
The Tangerines played some of their best passing football of the season as they kept the well ball on the excellent surface and thorouighly deserved their win.
Sol Pope was putting in some menacing centres from the right, one of which led to the opening goal after 25 minutes.
Stephen Vincent headed the ball across for Virgilio Leitao to play the ball back to Nuno Nogueira who created space for himself and shot into the corner of the net from 12 yards out. It was the first goal for the Tangerines from the Portuguese player.
The final three minutes of the first half produced two excellent saves from goalkeeper Luke Tynan and a ninth goal of the season for the Tangerines' Portuguese striker Leitao. Bruno Fena, on his first start, took the ball off a defender 30 yards from goal and moved into the penalty area before forcing Tynan to use his feet to make the save.
In the next attack Leitao cut out a defensive pass and forced Tynan to make a diving save, with Lambe putting the loose ball over. The second Diss goal came as the half moved into added time; Vincent played the ball through for Leitao to use his pace and strength to hold off defenders before shooting in from 10 yards out.
Diss had plenty of chances to score a third goal and make the game safe, with Tom Ramsay's effort blocked by Tynan and both Nogueira and Vincent striking the woodwork.
- 1 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 2 Norfolk hair salon named best in region at national awards
- 3 Frustration as vulnerable people in Norfolk left waiting for Covid boosters
- 4 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 5 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 6 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 7 Norfolk hot honey sauce 'going out in pallet fulls' across the UK
- 8 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 9 Approval granted for 69 new homes in Suffolk village
- 10 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
The game took a twist in the 73rd minute when Shaun Koussis curled in a free-kick from 25 yards around the wall and into the corner. Diss battle with 10 men for the last five minutes to see out the game when Jack Tipple collected two yellow cards inside a seven-minute spell.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Pope, Smith, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Gathercole, Nogueira, Leitao, Fena, Lambe. Subs: Priestley (for Leitao 87), Goulding (for Fena 87).
Sponsor: Robin Knowles. Attendance: 92.
Diss Town will be away to Dereham Town in the last 16 of the Norfolk Senior Cup, with the game set for either November 14 or 21.
Diss continue a busy month at Halstead on Saturday (3pm). They are then at home to Ross Potter's Wroxham on Tuesday evening (7.45pm) in the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup.