Diss v Fakenham derby report
Diss Town 1 Fakenham Town 0
Diss Town returned to league action with a narrow victory against struggling Fakenham to maintain the pressure on Cambridge University Press who they entertain in a fortnight's time.
Rob Taylor's side had pretty much the lion's share of chances in both halves as George Watts-Sturrock's early free kick from the left touchline was beaten away by Tom Rix in the Fakenham goal before Dan Savory latched onto a superb through ball.
However he was pushed out wide and his shot/cross went scooting across the face of the Tangerines goal.
Luke Catchpole ended a move that was started by the magical and silky skilled Jordan Rocastle who beat his marker and caressed a neat pass into Catchpole who just shot wide of the target from 25 yards.
Stefan Gilding probably had the best chance of the first period when a whipped in free kick by the impressive and influential George Watts-Sturrock was headed over from close in when he should have at least made the keeper work.
Jordan Rocastle was providing some flare up front as he nearly unlocked the door as Matt Webster's goal kick was headed on by Dan Wynne and helped on by unsung midfielder Jon Abbott for the striker to try his luck with a chip which had just a pound of oomph too much as he lifted the ball over Rix who was in no-man's land but also over the crossbar.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
The second half was very much as tight as the first as Fakenham contrived to mix it and make things hard for the Tangerines. However, cometh the hour cometh the man, as a stunning move started by a timely tackle by Ryan MacFadden on Jake Betts led to Abbott, Rocastle, Wynne and finally Sam Bryant all being involved in setting up Luke Catchpole. He made no mistake from 12 yards, blasting home for a 1-0 lead in the 56th minute.
Rocastle forced Rix into a superb save when his shot looked destined for the far corner but the Fakenham keeper dived to his right to push the ball out of harm's way.
Diss Man of the Match: Jon Abbott's grafting in midfield often goes unnoticed but on a day when the going got tough the tough got going. He is an inspiration to any of his team-mates with his high work rate and often going in where angels fear to tread.
Diss team: Matty Webster, Ryan Macfadden, Stuart Garner, Mark Shadrack, Stefan Gilding, George Watts-Sturrock, Jordan Rocastle, Luke Catchpole, Danny Wynne, Jon Abbott, Sam Bryant.
Diss subs: Peter Hooks (for Bryant 84 mins), Andy Moody, Simon Jackson, Kirk Bardsley and George Cole.
Match Sponsor: Matthew Upson Properties Limited.