Diss victory hopes ended by late penalty

SPORT Football

- Credit: Archant

Diss Town 1 Woodbridge Town 1

Despite taking an early lead the Tangerines were unable to take control of a periodically bad-tempered game on Tuesday, and the visitors were able to earn a share of the points through a second-half penalty.

The Tangerines gave a debut to Daniel Barraclough and had new signing Joseph Manning on the bench. Diss won a corner in the seventh minute and skipper Kyle Downes planted a header across the keeper to opening the scoring for the Tangerines.

The game threatened to boil over in the 33rd minute when the visitors thought Jamie George had challenged for the ball unfairly, George was in turn bundled off the ball, and in the ensuing skirmish Woodbridge defender Makris dropped theatrically to the floor. Referee Jacques took his time and managed to diffuse the situation.

The visitors won a succession of corners in the second half, but the Tangerines also threatened on the break.

However, just when it looked like the visitors had missed a good chance when firing across the Tangerines' goal in the 75th minute the referee adjudged the Woodbridge attacker had been impeded and awarded a penalty. Sam Cole hit a well-struck spot-kick into the top right-hand corner that gave Powley no chance.

The Tangerines are at home again on Saturday when they entertain Downham Town (3).

Most Read

Diss: Powley, Cole, Barraclough, Downes, Appleton (Manning 55), Armes, Self, Bartram, Page, Holmes, George (Burroughs 87). Subs not used: Wenham, Bird

Attendance: 97

On Saturday the Tangerines came away from Team Bury with a hard-fought 2-1 victory.

Diss scored an early goal in both halves. The home side pulled one back in the final 15 minutes, but Diss did just enough to take all three points.

The Tangerines welcomed back striker Adam Burroughs on the bench after a pre-season injury. Jason Cole has rejoined the club and slotted in at right back. With Chris Gibbons unavailable, skipper Kyle Downes moved to the centre of the defence.

Diss took the lead in the eighth minute, when they won a free-kick wide out on the left and Danny Self's cross was met by a header from Sam Page that bounced into the bottom corner. Just before the interval, Jason Armes went close to increasing the lead, but was foiled by a last-ditch tackle.

Ten minutes into the second half, the Tangerines did increase their lead when Eady was unable to hold onto the ball when challenged by Jamie George, and despite the home keeper's attempt to recover, the striker was quickest to react to force the ball home.

In the 81st minute the home side got back into the game when a low shot through a ruck of players on the left of the penalty area was on target. It looked like Luke Appleton might clear the ball off the line but he couldn't make clean contact and the ball ricocheted into the net.