Diss warming up nicely for new challenge
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town 2 Norwich CEYMS 1
The Tangerines played their fourth pre-season friendly on Saturday at home to Norwich CEYMS, who play in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.
Kyle Downes and Ben Lewis were unavailable but new signing Jamie George, the ex-Norwich United and Wroxham striker, made his debut.
George caused problems for the visitors from the outset with his ability to retain possession in the box, looking for the space for a shot on goal.
The early exchanges were fairly even, but it was Danny Self who put the Tangerines in front after just eight minutes with a well judged header that squeezed past the Norwich CEYMS keeper's hand and under the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
George was in the right place at the right time to mark his debut with a goal from close range in the 27th minute. The visitors pulled a goal back in the 38th minute when their number seven ghosted through the home defence to meet a free-kick with a header that gave Bird in the Tangerines' goal no chance.
The visitors had more possession in the second half and looked like they might find an equaliser.
- 1 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
- 2 What will change at Norfolk's big attractions from July 19?
- 3 Every UK adult offered first dose of Covid vaccine`
- 4 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 5 Thatched roof fire breaks out in Suffolk village
- 6 Major supermarkets set out rules for shoppers after July 19
- 7 New zebra crossing installation to bring weeks of roadworks
- 8 Busy roads across Norfolk as people enjoy summer sunshine
- 9 Man taken to hospital after medical episode while driving near Diss
- 10 Bakery uses leftover loaves to brew beer
They were unlucky when a header hit the right-hand post of the Tangerine's goal, but bounced back into play and the danger was cleared.
The home side's best chance to extend their lead fell to George in the 74th minute, when he met a cross from the right, but he was unable to direct his header on target.
On Tuesday, Diss were 2-1 home winners over Mulbarton. Callum Olpin opened the scoring for the Tangerines, the visitors equalised, but Jamie George finished off a good move to score the deciding goal.
The Tangerines are in pre-season friendly action again on Saturday August 1 when they entertain Saffron Walden (3pm). Then they play their final friendly on Tuesday at Harleston Town, with a 6.30pm kick-off.