Diss warming up nicely for new challenge
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town 2 Norwich CEYMS 1
The Tangerines played their fourth pre-season friendly on Saturday at home to Norwich CEYMS, who play in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.
Kyle Downes and Ben Lewis were unavailable but new signing Jamie George, the ex-Norwich United and Wroxham striker, made his debut.
George caused problems for the visitors from the outset with his ability to retain possession in the box, looking for the space for a shot on goal.
The early exchanges were fairly even, but it was Danny Self who put the Tangerines in front after just eight minutes with a well judged header that squeezed past the Norwich CEYMS keeper's hand and under the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
George was in the right place at the right time to mark his debut with a goal from close range in the 27th minute. The visitors pulled a goal back in the 38th minute when their number seven ghosted through the home defence to meet a free-kick with a header that gave Bird in the Tangerines' goal no chance.
The visitors had more possession in the second half and looked like they might find an equaliser.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 6 Buildings available to rent in grounds of monastery in Norfolk
- 7 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 8 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 9 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 10 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
They were unlucky when a header hit the right-hand post of the Tangerine's goal, but bounced back into play and the danger was cleared.
The home side's best chance to extend their lead fell to George in the 74th minute, when he met a cross from the right, but he was unable to direct his header on target.
On Tuesday, Diss were 2-1 home winners over Mulbarton. Callum Olpin opened the scoring for the Tangerines, the visitors equalised, but Jamie George finished off a good move to score the deciding goal.
The Tangerines are in pre-season friendly action again on Saturday August 1 when they entertain Saffron Walden (3pm). Then they play their final friendly on Tuesday at Harleston Town, with a 6.30pm kick-off.