England call for Hipkiss
Leicester centre and former Diss player Dan Hipkiss has been called into the England rugby squad for next month's New Zealand tour.Hipkiss replaces fly-half Danny Cipriani, who faces six months on the sidelines after suffering a fracture.
Leicester centre and former Diss player Dan Hipkiss has been called into the England rugby squad for next month's New Zealand tour.
Hipkiss replaces fly-half Danny Cipriani, who faces six months on the sidelines after suffering a fracture.
England manager Martin Johnson has opted not to fill the tour vacancy with another number 10.
Hipkiss leapt into contention despite originally failing to make either the senior group or the England Saxons squad for their Barclays Churchill Cup campaign in the USA and Canada.
Hipkiss said: “I obviously cannot help but feel for Danny and the injury he has suffered, and my thoughts are with him. However, this gives me a chance to tour New Zealand and it will be a very tough and challenging environment. The Rugby World Cup last year will hold me in good stead and it is an opportunity I am looking forward to.”
- 1 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 2 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 3 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 6 'No excuses' is the message as festive anti-drink drive campaign launched
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 9 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout