Excellent festival for Diss youngsters
HOPES were high when the 14 rugby players of Diss arrived for the Norwich Festival on a lovely spring morning for their last outing as the U10s. The ground was firm and the conditions excellent for running rugby.
HOPES were high when the 14 rugby players of Diss arrived for the Norwich Festival on a lovely spring morning for their last outing as the U10s.
The ground was firm and the conditions excellent for running rugby. Diss were drawn against Holt, North Walsham and Norwich B.
The best team performance of the season saw Diss come through 10-5 this tight encounter against a very well prepared and skilful Holt team. It was very physical from the off and Holt scored first with a very good movement indeed.
Diss regrouped however and fought back with considerable vigour. This resulted in tries for Angus McDaniel and Joe Hegarty but the whole team contributed greatly in putting away this difficult opposition.
You may also want to watch:
The second match resulted in a 5-5 draw against North Walsham and Diss must consider themselves unlucky not to have won by a considerable margin as they had control for most of the game.
Luke Burridge went over fairly early after the ball had passed through several pairs of hands and a large score seemed likely. Walsham fought back however and managed to make it a draw with a breakaway try late on.
- 1 Phil and Jill still going strong after 74 years together
- 2 Health bosses step up effort to vaccinate vulnerable communities
- 3 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 7 Pubs and shops open on Monday: what can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 9 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 10 What will the weather be like this week for outdoor reopening?
Diss beat Norwich B 25-0. This one was all Diss from the start. All team members were involved at various points in the game and the scorers were Oscar Seaman, Alex Leeder, Joe Hegarty (2) and Tom Goodge.
These results meant that Diss topped their group and were in the first final of the year - against Norwich A and lost 10-0.
Norwich scored from the kick-off with a well-rehearsed move and although Diss produced a good fightback scores were just not forthcoming.
At half-time, despite the score, Diss still looked hot favourites but the run of the ball and some bizarre refereeing decisions contrived against them and a controversial move from a ruck resulted in a second unlikely try for the hosts.
A good result in the end, with second place in a tournament in the company of some very capable teams.
On another day Diss would have won but the future looks bright for next year and the lads' introduction to the 12-player game.
Special thanks should go to the coaching team of Roger Carter, Sooty Smith and Simon Burridge, whose hard work and dedication have made this excellent season possible.