Fab night for petanque club
Diss Waveney Petanque Club enjoyed one of their most profitable evenings in their history last Thursday.While Diss Vikings were romping to a club record home victory in Division Three of the Darby Rosettes Norfolk League, Le Diss Sportif were ending Division Two leaders' Strumpshaw Lamb Chops' winning start to the season.
Diss Waveney Petanque Club enjoyed one of their most profitable evenings in their history last Thursday.
While Diss Vikings were romping to a club record home victory in Division Three of the Darby Rosettes Norfolk League, Le Diss Sportif were ending Division Two leaders' Strumpshaw Lamb Chops' winning start to the season.
Vikings' 5-0, aggregate 65-36, victory over St Faiths Wanderers Wallabies was only a point short of equalling the all-time club record.
Tony Bigley, Ken Roberts and Peter Atkins got things off to a winning start with a 13-11 success in the triples but had to hang on after opening a 9-0 lead.
Bendt Hansen, Peter Beales and John Byrne repeated that score in the other triples to make it
2-0 at the interval. Bigley and Roberts then romped to a 13-1 success in the opening doubles and wins for the Atkins/Hansen and Beales/Byrne pairings ensured a comprehensive victory.
- 1 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 5 Nissen hut conversion approved despite holiday home noise concerns
- 6 Meet Norfolk's own Karate Kid - who hopes to compete on world stage
- 7 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
- 8 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces
- 9 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
- 10 Fresh plans for controversial waste plant revealed
It was not quite as easy for Sportif. Mick Clarke, Liz Rudling and Jan Barsby crashed to a 13-1 opening game defeat but George Ottey, John Barsby and Steven Penny ensured parity at the break. Penny and John Barsby then put Sportif 2-1 ahead with a nail-biting 13-12 verdict and Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby ensured victory before Clarke and Rudling completed the success.
Darby Rosettes Norfolk League results - Division Two: Le Diss Sportif 4, Strumpshaw Lamb Chops 1 (aggregate 53-50).
Triples (Diss names first): M Clarke, L Rudling, Jan Barsby lost 1-13 to M Page, J Wood, S Brown; G Ottey, John Barsby, S Penny beat R Brown, C and S Wood 13-9. Doubles: L Rudling, M Clarke beat M Page, C Wood 13-11; Jan Barsby, L Penny beat P Goodwin, P Page 13-5; John Barsby, S Penny beat S Brown, S Wood 13-12.
Division Three: Diss Vikings 5, St Faiths Wanderers Wallabies 0 (aggregate 65-36).
Triples (Diss names first): T Bigley, K Roberts, P Atkins beat M Almey, T Hoyland, I Lincoln 13-11; B Hansen, P Beales, J Byrne beat P Neville, M Hill, J Lincoln 13-11. Doubles: T Bigley, K Roberts beat M Almey, T Hoyland 13-1; P Atkins, B Hansen beat I Andrews, P Neville 13-10; P Beales, J Byrne beat M Hill, J Lincoln 13-3.