Fine finale for the champions
Diss Ladies 5, Dereham 0
HOCKEY: Champions Diss Ladies played their last game of the season at home to promotion hopefuls Dereham.
The away side needed at least a draw to have any hope of going up and started the game on the offensive trying gain the upper hand. For the opening stage of the game Dereham were the better side, forcing a good save from Sue Moore in the Diss goal.
This spurred Diss on and after 20 minutes Lucy Kershaw put Diss in front with a great shot from a short corner.
Now Dereham had to attack if they were to stand any chance of promotion but they got caught out when Blakely raced away and put the ball in the D for Diss' leading scorer Glover to make it 2-0 at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham needed to up their game and they threw everything at Diss in the second half but great defending by Comer and Everett kept the away side out. If the ball did come through, Moore in the Diss goal was in no mood to be beaten and she made two excellent stops.
Diss then killed the game with a goal from Glover, her 36th of the season. Dereham didn't give up but just had no answer to the blistering pace of Blakely on the right.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 4 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 5 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 6 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 10 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
She capped a fine individual performance by scoring Diss' fourth. Diss weren't finished and Blakely once again broke free up the pitch, played a one-two with Kershaw then crossed the ball in for Diss captain Howard to calmly stroke the ball past the Dereham keeper for a final score of 5-0.
The scoreline slightly flattered Diss but the result showed how far the side has come this season. Diss PoM: Tash Blakely.
Top goal scorer: Toni Glover, 36. Players' player: Toni Glover. Most improved: Emily Comer.