First silverware for Strad girls
After three years Stradbroke's girl cricketers earned their first silverware at Bury St Edmunds. They lifted the Suffolk Lady Taverners U15 Cup, beating Woolpit by 10 wickets.
After three years Stradbroke's girl cricketers earned their first silverware at Bury St Edmunds.
They lifted the Suffolk Lady Taverners U15 Cup, beating Woolpit by 10 wickets.
Skipper Ellie Johnson won the toss, allowing Stradbroke to dispel some nerves by fielding first. Although Woolpit's openers were not parted during the 12 over innings, the short format saw scoring opportunities at a premium, and only two boundaries hit.
Wides helped the total along, but Stradbroke's bowlers would have been delighted to be chasing just 54 runs. Johnson chose Kate Thompson as her opening partner. A wise choice.
You may also want to watch:
Although she scored just seven singles, Thompson rotated the strike, defended the good balls, allowing Ellie to punish anything off line. She ended 23 not out, and Stradbroke were home in a canter as if they had written their own script.
They now move forward to the regional finals in August.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 8 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 9 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village