First win delight for Tangerines
Diss Town Res 4, Norwich United Res 2Bottom-of-the-table Diss Reserves won for the first time this season with a superb team display against Norwich United Reserves at Brewers Green Lane.
Diss Town Res 4, Norwich United Res 2
Bottom-of-the-table Diss Reserves won for the first time this season with a superb team display against Norwich United Reserves at Brewers Green Lane.
It was the first time that the Tangerines have scored more than once in a match this season, and it was in their 20th game.
Norwich United took the lead in the fifth minute but was pegged back by a spirited Diss team in the 17th minute when Kirk Bardsley sent a teasing cross from the right high over the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net. United regained the lead in the 37th minute.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw the Tangerines take control with their best football of the season so far. They scored three goals in a five minute spell.
The equaliser came through Bardsley in the 60th minute when he latched on to a ball on the counter attack and shot in. Four minutes later Olly Verrell headed on a ball from the right for Jody Peacher to shoot in from 12 yards out.
- 1 Designer clothes, shoes and accessories worth £12k stolen in break-in
- 2 Phil and Jill still going strong after 74 years together
- 3 Under-50s to be called for vaccines as Moderna jab arrives in England
- 4 Health bosses step up effort to vaccinate vulnerable communities
- 5 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 7 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 8 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 9 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 10 Pubs and shops open on Monday: what can I do when restrictions are eased?
Carl Branson played a long ball over the top of the defence a minute later for Bardsley to take in his stride on the run and round the goalkeeper before shooting into an unguarded goal for his hat-trick.
Verrell seemed likely to increase the lead in the 75th minute but his shot was parried by the goalkeeper. A follow up shot from Bardsley was kicked off the goal line.
Late in the game Aaron Bunn made a good diving save to tip the ball on to the bar to maintain the two goal lead.
Diss man of the Match: Kirk Bardsley capped a hard-working display with a hat-trick in an excellent Diss team performance.
Diss team: Aaron Bunn, Rafel Szalek, Sean Cook, Damian Phelan, Carl Branson, Jody Peacher, Ryan McFadden, Simon Jackson, Olly Verrell, Karl Ansley, Kirk Bardsley.
Diss subs: Robbie Goodwin, Danny Roche (for Bardsley 90 mins + 2) and Craig Tullis.
Diss Reserves have two away league games this week - at Gorleston Reserves on Saturday (kick off 3pm) and at Lowestoft Reserves on Tuesday (kick off 7.45pm).