Football youth notes

ATTLEBOROUGH TOWN U12 played host to a battling Hellesdon side at Gaymers Meadow. Having won their last three games against Thorpe, Firside & Mulbarton, Boro were keen to keep the run of good form going. The visitors put up a strong fight from the start, but were kept at bay by the Boro back four, whilst Cy, Callum and Ricky overlapped each other well to put pressure on down the left flank. Liam and Ryan once again dominated the central midfield, but it was difficult to penetrate the Hellesdon defence, controlled by their excellent centre-half. The game stayed 0-0 until the second half when Mini scored from a Ryan corner. The visitors then put their big centre half up front to gain an equaliser, but Mini dealt with him expertly each time. The end-to-end play continued, but Attleborough secured the win 1-0, with a fourth clean sheet in a row.

ATTLEBOROUGH U16 were at home to Thorpe Rovers in a game where Boro had not had any team training for a while, and it began to show with Thorpe 5-0 up at half-time. The team played better in the second half, and soon Ben Moore put Jack Crosswaite through to score. Boro battled on and did not concede any more, but the damage was done in the first half. This week's manager's man of the match goes to James Haylock for his efforts up front. FT: ATYFC 1 Thorpe Rovers 5.

DISS TOWN U9 entertained Spixworth who were second in the league. They started the game in good form, putting pressure on the Spixworth defence. Max Bowen was putting in a fine performance down the right-hand side and Adam Neal was working hard to win the ball, leading to a deserved early goal coming from Benjamin Cohodar. Midway through the first half Spixworth got the equaliser after a scramble in the goalmouth. Spixworth then rallied, putting pressure on the home defence of Liam Hamling and Dylan Wilby and when they did break through, goalkeeper Lewis Allen was in good form, making some fine saves to keep the half-time score 1-1. Diss again started the second half on top with Caleb Palmer adding to the score with a great strike on goal. Diss' midfield of Christopher Lymbery and Louis Land were battling hard to keep possession leading to Benjamin scoring his second goal from the edge of the area. FT: 3-1.

DISS TIGERS U10 put Mulbarton under early pressure with some good work by Aaron Noller up front, but had Ryan Davidson to thank for a good covering tackle when a certain Mr Huckerby Jnr nearly caught Diss on the break. Davidson was unlucky after having his shot well saved before Diss opened their account with a well-taken goal from the hard-working Noller. Diss had a reshuffle at half-time with Harrison Tompkins putting in some good work on the right and Aidan Browne moving up front and getting straight into the action after being put through by Norman he rounded the keeper and put Diss ahead. Diss soon added a third, after Joe Collet's fierce shot could only be parried by the keeper and Oliver Budd fired the ball home. Mulbarton tried to get back into the game, but could find no way past the impressive Bradley Budd and Ryan Davidson in defence and Kyle Bullingham in goal. Diss' fourth came after Davidson split the defence with a great pass for Browne to again round the keeper to slot home. Aidan Browne completed his hat-trick thanks to another great driving run from Oliver Budd. Norman's shot was again saved, but not held and Browne finished. Browne capped a superb second-half display with his fourth and best goal – he latched on to Joe Collett's ball over the top to riffle home a sweet left-footed strike from the edge of the box which left Mulbarton reeling from their heaviest defeat this season.

DISS TOWN U11 produced a superb gutsy and determined performance to come from 2-0 down to win this cup tie 5-4. Swanton took the lead early on with a deflected cross that wrong-footed goalkeeper Thompson-Brown. Their tally was soon doubled not long after from a well-taken finish. Diss heads did not go down and they got back into the game after captain Dane Potter put the ball to Charlie Bowen who with some good footwork set up Mitchell Noller to head home. Confidence was now high and some good work at the back from Alex Chittock put through Ryan Lau who squared the ball for Cameron Rossell to fire home a well deserved equaliser. With minutes to half-time, the midfield trio of Potter, Bowen and Rossell combined with some neat passing to put through Noller for his second goal. The second half started well for Diss. Archie Clarkson, after a month out, was finding his feet again and putting in a solid performance, whilst Jack Burrows was making himself a menace up front. And working hard alongside Ryan Lau, this paid off as Lau picked up a loose ball and fired home goal number four. Swanton never gave up and came back at Diss straight away to make it 4-3. This was now a real physical battle and Swanton were awarded a penalty. Owen Thompson-Brown was unlucky after diving the right way, but not quite able to keep out the spot-kick. Once again Diss heads stayed high and they pressed hard to find the winner, and were rewarded when an excellent cross from Bowen was met by the head of Mitchell Noller to head home and complete his hat-trick. This was an excellent hard working performance from all the Diss boys, who never give up without a fight. Superb.

Man Of Match: Cameron Rossell.

DISS TOWN U13 ran out comfortable winners against lowly Stowmarket. Despite taking time to find their rhythm they took the lead when Harry Perry was quick to react to nod in at the far post. James Cottam soon doubled the lead when he curled a sublime 30-yard free-kick into the roof of the net. The Tangerines were now in full flow and added five more in a scintillating 10-minute spell. Wills Bacon fired home his first for the club, either side of a brace apiece for Alex Coates and Cameron McGhie. Stow Town then pulled one back to make it 7-1 at the half. Diss struggled to push on in the second half. Alex Coates and Cameron McGhie both completed their hat-tricks, but Stowmarket also scored twice. Man of the match Reece Lanchester then sent McGhie clear to net his fourth late on.

Most Read

EYE SAINTS U15 lost 5-0 away to a good Ipswich Exiles side. In an even first half Saints had a couple of good chances which both fell at the feet of Tom Hills-Kyte. Good defending by Adam Brown and Oscar Wyncoll kept the Ipswich forwards at bay in a goalless first half. The second half started with both teams having attempts at goal, but it was Exiles who opened the scoring 15 minutes into the second half. Saints had a good chance to equalise, but two goals in a five-minute spell gave Exiles a commanding lead. Saints kept battling away with Joe Hooton showing plenty of effort. Two goals in the last few minutes resulted in a flattering scoreline.Exiles deserved the win but Saints put in a hard working performance. MoM with solid defending, Adam Brown.

HARLESTON STINGERS U9: After three straight wins the Stingers suffered their heaviest defeat of the season against the league leaders. They found themselves 4-0 down at the break, but an improved performance in the second half saw Harleston make more of a game of it with Spencer Cawcutt scoring a great goal. Stingers keeper Benjamin Adshead pulled off some fantastic saves in the second half, but Breydon managed to score another four goals. Harleston Stingers U9 1 Breydon U9 8.

HETHERSETT U12 got off to a great start after two minutes when a shot from Jack Kirby was deflected over the stranded Weeting keeper. Weeting battled hard and got a goal back after 15 minutes.They then took the lead before Oli Hudson Church scored a fine free-kick from 25 yards to draw level only to see Weeting go straight up and score again just before half-time.Second half Weeting got stronger and put a lot more pressure on Ben Woodruff in the Hethersett goal. Ben pulled off some great saves, but Weeting scored three more goals to make the final score 6-2. Hethersett should be proud of their performance against a Weeting side who are top of the Premiership League which is a league above Hethersett who are sitting second from bottom of the Championship League. Men of the Match: James Ingham and Taylor Morris

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U9 ST JOHNS: After a few weeks off for winter break HAFC U9s returned to league action against St Johns. Unfortunately the eight players of HAFC proved to far strong technically for St Johns, scoring five goals in the first half and another four in the second. Goals were scored by Aaron Bradford (hat-trick), Mark Attfield (2) and two each for Sam Harvey and Sam Johnson. Further mention must go to Jack Gorman for two great penalty saves, combative middle of the park performances from both Colby Watts and Jacob Scott plus a solid defending display from Callum Lewis.

SCOLE UNITED U11 started brightly in the early stages with a couple of chances to score from Toby Gower clipping the crossbar and Callum Nash's strike just going wide of the goal. Scole dominated the first half with man of the match Jack Lester putting in an excellent defensive shift. The second half Scole produced some brilliant football passing and took the first goal in the 40th minute with a strike outside the box from Callum. Toby gets the second goal for Scole with a superb run down from just outside the halfway line. Firside continued battling hard and managed to get a goal back from a penalty just before the final whistle blew.

SCOLE U12 started the match against high-flying Taverham brightly and dominated the first half, the highlight of which was a long range effort from man of the match Kieran Manning which appeared destined for the top corner, before the Taverham keeper made a fantastic save to tip over the bar. The second period couldn't have started worse for Scole who found themselves a goal behind before they had really got into their stride. They were then unlucky to concede a second shortly after when the slippery surface and ball culminated in a second for the home side. With five minutes remaining Taverham extended their lead from a well-taken set-piece which was powerfully headed home. Again, however, Scole reacted well and Lee Rackham tapped in for his easiest goal of the season to pull one back for the visitors. Scole went looking for another and finished the game as strongly as they had started, however, unfortunately time ran out on their spirited fightback.

SCOLE U15 bounced back from the disappointment of last week with a committed performance. From the start Scole moved the ball around well and took the lead on 15 minutes via a close-range effort from Charlie Deakin. Solid defending ensured the visitors were restricted to long-range efforts. Early in the second half Oscar Marshall increased the lead with a 25-yard shot, but the goal of the game came when a flowing move was finished with a spectacular overhead shot from Aidan Shaen-Carter. Despite many good performances the man of the match went to Tom Constance who continues to improve at full back.

WYMONDHAM U9: Attleborough saw a lot of early possession and put Wymondham under pressure, but strong tackling from Ewan and good interceptions from Iwan kept them at bay. Their pressure paid off eventually with a deserved goal. Wymondham eased their way into the game with a good run by Denis and a shot at goal from Elliot. The equaliser came when Denis' corner was converted by a well-taken header from Billy. The game was now very open but a brilliant save from Seth prevented Attleborough taking the lead. Instead, a great passage of passing involving Iwan and Denis put Elliot through on goal who calmly scored a well-taken goal. However, Attleborough came back strongly and managed to secure a deserved equaliser before half-time. Attleborough started the second half strongly, but Wymondham remained resolute with good defending by Aaron and Rohan. At the other end, Josh had a good effort on goal. Attleborough's pressure paid off when Seth could do nothing to stop a third goal. For a while Attleborough looked likely to score again, but fine defending by Billy, Ewan, Aaron and Iwan kept Wymondham in the game. With time running out, Wymondham mustered some dangerous attacks and secured the draw with a stunning goal from Denis with a long-distance shot. All the team deserve credit for their efforts in a hard-fought contest and for their never-say-die attitude. There were fine performances across the team, but great credit goes to Seth for a brilliant save in the first half and a great overall display. FT: 3-3. MoM: Seth.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U11 travelled to Mulbarton last Sunday and finally lost their 100pc record with a dramatic, pulsating and controversial 4-4 draw. Unfortunately, the pitch was very heavy and not conducive to our usual open, free-flowing football. In fact the first few minutes were spent in our half, but the boys soon got on top as Christy fed Bryn down the right and his superb cross was met with a fine header by Lewis to put Wymondham ahead. United continued to dominate with Jacob, Bryn, Daniel and Lewis all prominent in threatening moves.Jake then went close after good work from Lucas and Christy. Mulbarton were awarded a corner from which they equalised against the run of play. Wymondham hit back when Christy found Jake in the box who was immediately floored for a penalty, Bryn converting. The home team offered no real threat from open play. Bryn found Henry who knocked in a third just before the break to make it 3-1 and it seemed plain sailing. The second half began with Lewis, Bryn and Henry all having good opportunities to increase the lead. The hosts' keeper made fine saves from Sonny, Bryn, Jake and Jacob as we maintained complete control. The game turned when a free-kick was given to Mulbarton which led to a corner. Once again Wymondham were second best in the box as the corner came over and it was 3-2. Jake then set up Lewis who blasted just over as the game now began to sway back and forth. With their tails up, the home side were then awarded a soft penalty which was duly converted for the equaliser. The visitors thought they had won it when Henry latched on to a ball in the box to fire home but it was short-lived as in the dying minutes,f rom another corner, Mulbarton grabbed the leveller. MoM: Lewis Thurston.