Football: Youth notes

DISS HAWKS U10 played away to Surlingham Tornadoes and soon found themselves 5-0 down with Surlingham in control of the game. In the second half the Hawks pushed forward from Nathan Faulkner in defence to Theo Sloos and Sam King in midfield and tried to turn the game around with a fantastic goal off Jacob Ready from a corner. Then came shots from Nathan Faulkner, Nathan Channell and Theo Sloos but they couldn't beat Surlingham's keeper. Samuel Brice then made a good run around Surlingham's defence to score the Hawks second. Surlingham widened the gap by scoring two more, despite some great saves from Henry Ready. Final score: Surlingham Tornadoes 7 Hawks 2. MoM: Nathan Faulkner.

DISS TOWN U11 title hopes took a big knock after defeat to mid-table Heigham Park Rangers. Diss started the brighter of the two sides, but soon went 1-0 down after conceding an own goal. It was not long after that Cameron Rossell fired home the equaliser from an acute angle. There was not much between the two teams and Heigham took the lead again before Ryan Lau levelled made it 2-2. Diss pressed hard and got their noses in front after a Heigham own goal made it 3-2 to Diss at half-time. Heigham were soon level after the break and then took the lead from a harsh penalty decision. Diss battled hard to get back in the game with several near misses, but Heigham sealed the win with their fifth to make it 5-3.

DISS TOWN U11 put in a magnificent away performance against top of the premier league Team Thetford Independence in this cup semi-final first leg. Right from the off the commitment of the Diss players was showing with the midfield trio of captain Dane Potter, Charlie Bowen and Cameron Rossell fighting for every ball and not giving Thetford any room to play, their passing of the highest quality to try and set free the front duo of Mitchell Noller and Ryan Lau. Chances soon started coming to Diss and Lau and Noller went close on several occasions. Thetford were trying to push through the Diss midfield, but when they did were met with some outstanding defending by the back three of Kieran Allen, Alex Chittock and Aiden Boosey, all backed up by goalie owen Thompson-Browne who was quick off his line and produced some real quality saves. Diss finally made the breakthrough when the ball dropped to Boosey who supplied an excellent pass down the left to Bowen who then struck a peach of a cross over to Noller who struck the ball home at the far post. The second half was much the same, with Diss creating chances and they were awarded a penalty after a handball. Cameron Rossell stepped up and hit the ball with real powerd down the centre of the goal, but the Thetford keeper pulled off a fantastic save to keep them in the game. Ryan Lau went close again, hitting the post, but Diss could just not find the second killer goal. With just two minutes left Thetford finally found a way through and although Thompson-Browne saved the first shot he had no chance with the follow-up. The Diss lads can be proud of this performance and if they repeat it in the second leg at home have every chance of making the final. Thetford Independence 1 Diss Town U11 1.

DISS U12: League leaders Weeting started strongly in this Cup semi-final, first leg. They went two goals up before Diss got into the match and began to attack with purpose. Lawrence Brown pulled one back with a brilliant chip from outside the box, but Weeting hit back immediately and led 4-1 early in the second half. Diss then had a sustained spell of fluent attacking. PoM Jamie Channell scored, but Diss again succumbed on the break. Back came Diss again and Cameron Cole and Lawrence Brown got them to within one goal. Weeting wobbled, but just held on and scored the final goal of a thrilling match. FT 4-6.

DISS TOWN U13 put in a spirited display in this semi-final clash, but ultimately found Woodbridge too strong for them. Woodbridge showed why they are riding high in the First Division with an impressive display of passing football. Despite the best efforts of Reece Lanchester and Ben Broadley at the back they fell behind midway through the first half. Diss nearly levelled when man of the match James Cottam forced a fine save with his long-range effort. This was all Diss could muster in the half and Woodbridge doubled their advantage right on the stroke of half-time. Despite conceding again, the whole Diss team gave their all in the second half. Wills Bacon battled for everything in midfield and Alex Coates ran his socks off for the team all game. Goalkeeper Harry Ready matures with every game and a fine display was capped with a fantastic diving save late on. Woodbridge Town u13s 3 Diss Town u13s 0.

HARLESTON U10 visited Beckvale with both teams wanting to gain points to bolster their league positions. Harleston started the brighter of the two teams in a game where Beckvale proved very resilient and showed a never-say-die attitude. Towards the end of the first half the Beckvale keeper left the field injured after an accidental clash with a Harleston player. The Beckvale substitute goalkeeper performed excellently for the remainder of the game. Harleston's first-half midfield trio of Josh Etteridge, William Rose and William Ramsay always looked stronger than their opponents and with Jamie Walker on form up front, Harleston were playing confidently. At the half-time whistle Harleston were leading by three goals and seemed to be cruising to a victory, but the start of the second half saw an energised Beckvale team score twice in quick succession and give the home supporters plenty to cheer about. To the Harleston players' credit they showed good form and eventually finished the game with a further three goals in the second half. Goals for Harleston came from Jamie Walker (4), William Rose and Matthew Barton. Final score: 2-6.

HEMPNALL U16 entertained Bohemiums, and gave the fans watching in the spring sunshine something else to cheer about as they were victorious for the first time this season. Hempnall started brightly and took the lead with Ciaran scoring. In the second half Ciaran was unlucky not to add to his tally with a free-kick. Max was also unlucky as was Will on two occassions. Clarkey in goal made some excellent saves to deny the opposition. It was lovely to see the happy smiling faces of the boys when they came off the pitch and manager Tim was very proud of all the lads. Lesser players would have given up after being beaten week after week, but this group of lads have stuck it out and have, finally, got what they deserved. WYMONDHAM U9 attacked from the first whistle and Elliot put in a good cross which was not converted. Mulbarton responded, but their attack was thwarted with some fine covering from Iwan. Good interplay between James, Elliot and Denis created a series of shots which produced good saves from the visiting keeper. Wymondham's closest effort came when a James' shot hit the post. At the other end, a corner from Mulbarton resulted in a shot from the edge of the box which was well saved by Seth. Seth was to play no further part in the game when he had to come off with an injured knee and was replaced in goal by Ewan. The second half saw Mulbarton come more into the game. Ewan had to save from a corner and Billy and Aaron defended stoutly. Wymondham's domination from the first half could not be sustained although there were occasional threats; James made good runs down the left; Elliot played some excellent passes; and Denis came close with a couple of shots. The second half was much more even although Mulbarton looked threatening on the break. However, Billy did extremely well to break up their attacks and lead the counter-attacks. Wymondham played well, particularly in the first half when they could have scored three or more goals, but had to defend more in the second half due to an improved performance from Mulbarton. Final score: 0-0. MoM: Billy.

Most Read

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U11 travelled to Jex last Sunday and produced a fine team performance which resulted in another emphatic win. They opened the scoring when Sonny headed in Henry's long throw and thereafter took complete control of the game.Bryn went close after good work by Daniel and Jack and from the winger's corner Lucas fired just wide. Sonny then added the second after being put through superbly by Daniel and almost claimed his hat-trick, but the keeper denied him. Jacob and William linked nicely to set up Henry, but he too was foiled by the Jex keeper. William then fed Henry, who duly notched the third before Sonny, Bryn and sub Karin all went close. Finding space in the box William drove in the fourth, but then Sonny saw an effort cleared off the line and his acrobatic volley fly just wide. Seconds before half-time, the home keeper made another fine stop from Henry. As soon as Jex showed any sign of an attack, defenders Luke, Jack, Christy and Lucas were there to intervene as Connor once again was a mere spectator. Wymondham began the second half as they ended the first and following a fine Jacob run, Lewis' shot was saved, but pounced on by Henry to make it 5-0. Jack then fired just over from a corner, but when we won our next, Henry drove it home for our sixth.Daniel also shot over as the bombardment continued. Sonny then took a nice ball from Christy and saw his cross neatly converted by Henry for the striker's fourth and our seventh. Sonny, Christy and Jacob all had efforts saved by the keeper while William and Sonny just missed the target. The hosts then produced their most promising attack, but Lucas with a determined block denied them. In the final minutes from two lovely Lewis corners, somehow Sonny just couldn't quite notch his hat-trick. Final score: 7-0. MoM: Henry Metcalfe.