Football Youth Notes

BECKVALE had an early start, and with some players racing up and down the A12 trying to find the pitch, and a late call off from the keeper, Beckvale seemed a bit disjointed from the kick-off. The home side started strongly, and their league position didn't look justified. Captain Wales conceded a penalty which was duly dispatched by the Belton player. After some good work down the wing which resulted in a corner, Middleton smashed an equaliser home. The game then became 10 v 10 after Beckvale had a player sent off. Belton started to dictate play and controlled the majority of the first half, going into a 3-2 lead at the break. A strong team talk and rallying of the troops at the interval paid off and Beckvale looked a better side in the early stages of the second half, with goals from Evans and Littlewood. Good performances from Williams and Bartram in defence ensured Belton did not threaten the away goal too much. With the game being competed strongly and fairly both teams were looking for an extra spark to make the difference. With 25 minutes left Beckvale brought on new signing Joy, who found the net twice with finely-taken strikes to secure all three points.

DISS HAWKS U10 played away to Garboldisham and soon found themselves 1-0 up after some good ball control from Nathan Channell. Garboldisham got one back with an unfortunate handball in the area giving away a penalty. The Hawks kept trying for another goal with Theo Sloos and Samuel Brice both hitting the bar and Freddie Bunn's shot just going wide, but they couldn't find the way in. In the second half Garboldisham put the pressure on and despite some good defence work from Drew Cotton and Nathan Faulkner, Garboldisham got another. George Costello kept the Hawks in the game by scoring the equaliser, along with some good saves from Henry Ready to keep the final score 2-2. MOM Nathan Faulkner

DISS TIGERS U10: This top-of-the-table clash had all the makings of a great game. Diss Tigers have conceded the fewest goals in the league whilst Taverham have scored the most and both were unbeaten. With so much at stake the early stages were pretty scrappy with neither team giving an inch. Taverham started to get the upper hand, but couldn't find a way past Bradley Budd and Ryan Davidson in defence who were both outstanding again. Taverham had the first effort on target which was superbly saved by Kyle Bullingham. Diss replied with Ryan Davidson working their keeper from distance before Charlie Norman had a great free-kick headed off the line. Bullingham was in action again with a sharp save to take the teams in level at the break. Diss started the second half the better with Taverham on the back foot, almost unlocking their defence on a couple of occasions with through balls that had their defence at full stretch to prevent Aaron Noller and Aidan Browne getting in on goal. Though Oliver Budd tried his hardest in With time running out Diss conceded a penalty which Taverham converted and left Diss no time to respond. Final score: Taverham 1 Diss Tigers u10 0.

DISS U12 conceded an early goal in this Cup quarter-final second leg, but responded positively, with a string of flowing attacks. They equalised before half-time through Cameron Cole and never looked in danger after that. MoM Kyle Hanusiak shone in a tight defence and Rocklands were unable to cope with the threat of the Diss attack. Lawrence Brown put Diss ahead and Sam Hunt promptly extended the lead. The best was saved for last, when Jamie Channell made a great break down the right and cut the ball back perfectly for Dan Whyman to rifle home. This sealed a comprehensive 4-1 win and 8-4 aggregate victory.

DISS TOWN U13. The top two teams in the league met in this probable title decider. Diss had inflicted Exiles' only loss earlier this season and both teams knew that this was not going to be a match for the feint hearted. Diss struggled early on to deal with the threat posed by Exiles 6ft-plus striker, but the Tangerine back line of Bacon, Tunmer, Lanchester and Oakley met fire with fire and never shirked a challenge all afternoon. As the half wore on Diss began to take control. Ben Williamson produced a fine run to set Alex Coates up, only for the keeper to produce a good save. Cameron McGhie looked like he was going to be through on the keeper, only for an Exiles defender to leap like a salmon and catch the ball with both hands. He was very fortunate to only receive a yellow card. Diss finally broke the deadlock after some fine work by Harry Perry, his pinpoint cross was met by Alex Coates who neatly converted. However right on the stroke of half-time Exiles broke down the left and equalised. The second half was fairly even although Harry Ready in the Diss goal had to be at his best on a couple of occasions. Exiles took the lead with 20 minutes left when Diss failed to clear their lines. Diss tried to push forward in search of an equliser but the outstanding Exiles defence held firm. Diss Town U13s 1 Ipswich Exiles U13 2.

HARLESTON STINGERS U9 In their last league game of the season the Stingers were undeservidly beaten in an open game which saw both teams playing some good football. Harleston took the lead with a great goal from Jack Bettinson, but they missed a host of chances which would have had the game won by half-time – instead they found themselves 2-1 down at the break. Harleston started the second half brightly and soon levelled with another strike from Jack Bettinson who was in great form. Stingers goalkeeper Benjamin Adshead pulled off some stunning saves, but was unable to stop Waveney from scoring their third goal. The boys should be proud of what they have achieved this season and look forward to their cup final. Harleston Stingers 2 Waveney Jaguars 3.

HARLESTON U15 were away to St Benets Wasps and having not played for three weeks it was uncertain how the boys would perform. Early indications were good with pacey wingers Nick Keeling and Will Coleman causing a lot of problems for Wasps, although it was Antony Burlton up front who opened the scoring for the visitors. Goal number two was a gift of an own goal after a Wasps' pass back bobbled over the keeper's foot. Keeling was rewarded for all his running up and down the wing with the third goal, a sweetly-struck shot which any keeper would have struggled to keep out. The same goes for the next goal, a great individual effort from Coleman as he ploughed his way through the hosts' defence to slot home a fourth for Harleston. Near the end of the half St Benets managed to get one back and so the first half finished with Harleston 4-1 up. The second half was completely the opposite – maybe a mixture of the boys thinking the game was already won and Wasps upping their game. Harleston spent most of the second half on the back foot with any chances they did have squandered. The hosts grabbed another goal late on in the second half, but fortunately for Harleston it was too little too late from this much-improved group of lads from St Benets. FT: 4-2 to Harleston. MoM was Tom Gower.

Most Read

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U9. Game 1 – Hethersett played Brooke in what was a fantastic match. The previous match between the teams was a very close encounter with Hethersett winning; this time it was the turn of Brooke to take all three points, but only just. Hethersett suffered an early setback with Brooke taking the lead. A great run and cross from Sam Johnson ended up with Aaron Bradford reacting first to make it 1-1. Colby Watts then made it 2-1, Brooke came back again only for Sam Johnson to regain the advantage for Hethersett, 3-2 . Yet again Brooke equalised to make it 3-3, then Brooke scored again. This was followed by a frantic final seven minutes with chances falling to both teams. Great credit must go to Brooke for their victory and for making this a great game for all to watch. Hethersett though disappointed with the final result will take some real positives away from the game; Hethersett are all U9 age group players and were competing against a team with some very strong and technically gifted U10s. The game was a credit to the league and both teams. Game 2 – Hethersett U9 entertained Holy Trinity. Once again this was going to be a tough test for Hethersett after the demands of the earlier game against Brooke. Holy Trinity are also a big team with a mixture of U9 and U10 age group players. Compared to the earlier game Hethersett seemed a lot more alert and were always first to the ball; but credit to Holy Trinity who made this once again a thoroughly enjoyable game. Holy Trinity constantly tested the defensive qualities of Hethersett. However, Jack Gorman soon adjusted his thinking and positioning to deal with the direct play from the keeper's boot. It was Hethersetts' fine attacking play that rewarded them with a deserved 3-0 win; with goals from Aaron Bradford and Sam Johnson (2).

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U10 won 5-0 at home to Mattishall with Henry Kemp scoring four times and the other coming from Will Foster.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U11 have been given a new match kit and training tops through the generosity of new sponsors Panel Graphic. Hethersett lost 4-3 at Norman despite goals from Ben Lacey, Max Beckett and Ollie Husband.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 went down 4-0 at home to Harling.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U15 came up against a strong Jex side in their League Cup quarter-final and went down 4-1 with their only goal coming from Alfie Gordon.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U16 consolidated their second place in the league with a 4-1 win at Salhouse. Goals came from Scott Grimes, Tom Calder and two own goals.

SCOLE U15: After no games for a month Scole turned in an unacceptable lacklustre first-half performance against strong opposition, with only a few playing to their potential, and were fortunate to only be one down at the interval when a short back pass left the keeper stranded. The second half saw an improved showing and the second only came in the closing minutes. MoM were Will Nevitt and Jordan Thurwell who worked tirelessly in defence. North Walsham U15 2 Scole U15 0.

SCOLE U11 started slowly and found themselves 1-0 down in the 20th minute.Scole picked up the pace and got themselves back into the game creating some chances, with Jack Church finding the net in the 28th minute. Going into the second half Scole displayed great football passing with Jack Lester putting in an superb defensive shift again. Towards the end Rocklands took the lead shortly followed by Scole equalising from Callum Nash's corner for Toby Gower to header in. FT: Scole United 2 Rocklands 2. MoM: Tom Worley.

SCOLE LADS U12 Despite the early start away from home it was Scole who started brightly and they took the lead from a great run from Charlie Hitch who nearly found Bradley Hunt who slotted home. Hunt could have made it two from the penalty spot, having been challenged unfairly in the area, but the Hellesdon keeper made the first of a number of fine saves to keep the home side in it. MOM Thomas Browne was next to go close with an ambitious shot from almost the halfway line which was bravely saved. The second half was virtually one-way traffic with the Scole midfield running the game, competing for every ball and creating successive chances. Despite this dominance, Ryan Ellis had to be sharp to tip a fierce drive onto the bar in the closing minutes – an equaliser would have been hard to take with Scole dominating all over the pitch and god value for their win. FT: Hellesdon 0 Scole 1.

SCOLE LADS U14 riding on a high from their 13-0 victory a week ago, confidently controlled the game in the first half. Jordan Green opened the scoring and Thomas Heath made it 2-0 from a corner. Brandon started the second half more strongly, but Scole played solidly as a team, creating plenty of opportunities and Curtis Child thwarted all Brandon's attempts at scoring. Finally Jack Payne took the score to 3-0 after an accurate pass from Joshua Goodwin-Tallents caught Brandon's defence off guard. Scole played with confidence throughout, with all players giving 100pc.

WYMONDHAM U9 started the game strongly and put Norwich Utd under pressure with a series of shots from Josh, Elliot and Denis. After the early flurry, Norwich came back into the game and Ewan had to be alert to a break-away with a fine interception. Seth had little to do in goal, but displayed good handling whenever Norwich threatened the Wymondham goal. Iwan ventured forward from defence and got in a good shot. The home team continued to pass the ball well with some good movement and fine interchanges between Elliot, Denis and Billy. Just before half-time, Billy came very close to scoring but just missed the target. In the second half, Wymondham continued where they left off, assisted by some good tackling from James and timely interceptions from Alex. Denis shot just wide and a good run and pass from Ewan saw Elliot shoot just wide. Wymondham finally took the lead when Josh collected the ball and made an excellent pass to Elliot who scored a well-taken goal. Although on the back-foot for most of the second half, Norwich broke away and scored an equaliser. Wymondham went in search of a winner, but a free-kick at the death could not breach the Norwich Utd defence. Having worked so hard to take the lead, Wymondham can consider themselves unlucky. Despite plenty of good football they failed to convert some good chances which would have secured a deserved win. For their part, Norwich Utd never gave up and took their chance well. FT: Wymondham 1 Norwich Utd 1.

WYMONDHAM U10 notched up a resounding win away to Horsford. After a prolonged period of possession Matt Cheal-Ferris fired in an unstoppable drive to give Wymondham the lead. This was quickly doubled when Joe Mower capitalised on a short clearance to slot past the keeper. The second half continued in the same way, with Matt rifling in a shot too hot for the keeper to handle, allowing Joe to grab his second. Matthew Carter and Sam Hartley ensured a clean sheet with some excellent defending while Kenny Smith ventured forward to take advantage of another blocked shot to put Wymondham out of sight. Joe completed his hat-trick by finishing off some superb attacking play by Elliott Henderson and Ben Holding, but wasn't finished there with his poaching instinct claiming two more. Horsford 0-7 Wymondham.