Frustration for Diss CC
Diss endured yet another extremely frustrating afternoon as they were defeated by Vauxhall Mallards by five wickets in the Alliance Premier.
This was largely down to the all-round display from the overseas professional Glen Addicott, who took four wickets to leave Diss all out for 170, then the South African smashed 55 runs.
Diss skipper Simon Cooper decided to bat first. Ben Spinks and James Wilby (5) looked to be positive from the off but the latter fell in the fifth over, bowled by J Ing, with the score on 13.
While Spinks (33) found some form with some attractive stroke play, Simon Cooper scratched his way up to 13 but the pair fell in quick succession, as Spinks was bowled by Elms, while Cooper was caught off the same bowler.
When Chris Cooper came and went within two balls, and David Tooke's (11) innings was cut short, Diss were in trouble on 74 for five.
You may also want to watch:
The 71-run stand that followed between Will Dawson (23) and Robert Tooke resurrected Diss' innings. Tooke was in devastating mood as he smashed anything that was even a modicum off target, while Dawson negated the spin of Steve Goldsmith which included a picturesque lofted six.
With Dawson back in the hutch Tooke (52) continued to blaze his way to a highly-impressive 50, but fell shortly after as partners started to run out, and with the tail putting up little fight Diss were bowled out for 170.
- 1 13 fire crews battle blaze at 'beautiful thatched house'
- 2 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 3 Severe damage caused to thatched cottage after blaze
- 4 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 5 Norfolk to feature in Steven Spielberg's Second World War TV series
- 6 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 7 Care home residents delighted by alpaca visit
- 8 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Spotlight on South Norfolk
- 9 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 10 Couple's search for Norwich home for natural wine shop and bar
Diss were cock-a-hoop after a few balls as Germon had the prolific Goldsmith caught by Chris Cooper off a full toss. But this was Diss' only success in the first half of the Mallards' innings as J Larter (36) and Addicott put on 86. Mark Williamson eventually had Addicott spectacularly caught at deep-off by Chris Cooper.
Robert Tooke struck with the score at 113, having Shipley trapped lbw for nine, and then Williamson bowled Larter with an incredible turning delivery.
A partnership followed between Seager (15) and Barker (21 not out). Shepherd bowled Seager with a fine in-swinger, but the final few runs were knocked off with little fuss. MoM: Rob Tooke, invaluable with both bat and ball. A special mention to Robbie West, his fine 12 overs cost just 30 runs.