Gold medal for Kerrison
- Credit: Archant
Mendham's Joe Kerrison won 65kg gold for the England Schools team in the Tri Nation Championships in Swansea.
The 14-year-old national schoolboy champion was up against home fighter Jim Janes, from the Steve Robinson club, who has a reputation of being a strong switch hitter and a tough opponent to beat.
From the opening round Kerrison – who represents Lowestoft Amateur Boxing Club – was determined to stamp his authority on the fight, which he did with some hard fast left jabs into his opponent's face, forcing him onto his back foot, where he shipped some solid left hooks to the body and overhand rights.
The Welsh champion came back into the fight with his own combinations, but the powerful Kerrison kept control of the round by keeping Jones on his back foot with long lefts and rights.
In the second round, Kerrison's skilful boxing really came into play as he used his left leads to set up combinations to the head and body, with Janes finding it more and more difficult to keep the Lowestoft boxer at bay.
In the final round Janes knew he had to pull out all the stops and get in close – but when he opened up with combinations to Kerrison's body he found himself out-punched and had to move off.
The Lowestoft boxer was on to him straight away, punishing him with sharp straight punches.
- 1 Meet the TikTok stylist helping people discover their body shapes
- 2 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 3 7 Norfolk food and drink businesses expanding in 2022
- 4 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss
- 5 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 6 Fuel spillage and crash caused delays along A140
- 7 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 8 Fare dodgers and fraudsters pay £4m to Greater Anglia in 2021
- 9 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
At the final bell there was no doubt about the outcome as Kerrison's arm was raised after a well-deserved unanimous points victory.
Kerrison added gold to the National Schoolboy crown he won in Bristol earlier this month when he scored a unanimous points victory over 2014 champion James Metcalf, from Barnsley.