Good start for Diss AC
West Suffolk/Diss AC won the weekend's Southern Counties Division Four North athletics meeting.Considering that the other four teams competing with our team were relatively close to London with no long distance to travel, the result was an excellent start to the season for the combined East Anglian team.
West Suffolk/Diss AC won the weekend's Southern Counties Division Four North athletics meeting.
Considering that the other four teams competing with our team were relatively close to London with no long distance to travel, the result was an excellent start to the season for the combined East Anglian team.
The journey to Parliament Hill Fields proved to be somewhat hazardous as the track is in the environs of Hampstead Heath which has no car park for anything over six feet
and, unfortunately, the minibus was about eight feet! Driver Simon Bowman and West Suffolk team manager Ray Radley spent an hour searching for somewhere to park as all roads near the event were jam-packed.
You may also want to watch:
Diss had no senior athletes in track training but, fortunately, West Suffolk had an excellent team available, both on track and horizontal jumps.
The only events the combined team could not compete in were pole vault and high hurdles.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
The team was very successful and was either first or second in all events, apart from one third place.
The Diss captain Simon Bowman won the hammer with a throw of 39.80m which was better than his best throw last season
and he also won the A discus.
The relay 4x100m actually came second in the match, only being beaten by the third division club which was the other match in the meeting.
Result - 1 West Suffolk/Diss 171, 2 Queens Park Harriers 155, 3 Luton 80, 4 London Heathside 57, 5 London AC 52.
Next weekend is the Norfolk and Suffolk County Championships at Norwich and Ipswich.