Grant delight for Diss Athletics Club
A project to provide a new hammer and discus cage at Diss sports ground has nearly reached its target with �13,824 raised so far, and �3,300 to go.Diss and District Athletics Club was this week delighted to receive a grant of �5,000 from Norfolk Community Foundation Grassroots Fund towards the purchase and installation of a throws cage.
A project to provide a new hammer and discus cage at Diss sports ground has nearly reached its target with �13,824 raised so far, and �3,300 to go.
Diss and District Athletics Club was this week delighted to receive a grant of �5,000 from Norfolk Community Foundation Grassroots Fund towards the purchase and installation of a throws cage.
Following health and safety advice, the club had to remove the hammer and discus-throwing facility at its training ground in Shelfanger Road last year.
The equipment had served the club well for many years, producing many champions under the coaching skills of Reg Wright.
You may also want to watch:
The cost of replacing the old equipment with a new approved throws cage is about �17,000. The club has announced that it has received substantial funding to help replace the equipment. A grant of �8,824.00 was received from 'Awards For All', part of the National Lottery Fund, but last week, Norfolk Community Foundation topped up the fund by adding another �5,000 to it.
Head coach, Barry Palmer, said: 'The club was overjoyed, but we still have to raise the balance of just over �3,000 to be able to complete the project.
- 1 Phil and Jill still going strong after 74 years together
- 2 Health bosses step up effort to vaccinate vulnerable communities
- 3 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 4 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 7 Pubs and shops open on Monday: what can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 9 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 10 What will the weather be like this week for outdoor reopening?
'We will organise a 'Have a Go, Come and Throw' session where a past county champion will be invited to demonstrate the skills and then an opportunity will be given to everyone, athletes as well as the local community to try throwing the hammer and discus.'
Anyone who can help the club reach their target can call Joanne Palmer on 01379 853144 or Veronica Manly on 01379 677231.