Harleston Magpies mixed team going for national glory
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies Mixed team travel to Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre at the weekend looking to regain the National title they won in 2015.
The squad, who have been one of the most successful teams in the club's recent history, will play London-based Spencer in the first semi-final at the 2012 Olympics venue on Saturday, pushing back at 1.30pm.
The second semi-final will take place on the same day, pushing back at 3.30pm, between Stourport and Leamington Spa-based Khalsa.
If the team can navigate their way past Spencer then the final will be played the following day at 4pm but whataver happens they will have two games, with a third/fourth place match starting at 2pm.
The squad, sponsored by Parson Estate Agents, reached the semi-final stage with wins over Bedford (2-1), Bourne Deeping (6-0), Letchworth (4-1), Dereham (walk-over) and, in the quarter-finals, a 7-1 win against Horsham.
You may also want to watch:
Spencer have also had a good run to the finals weekend, scoring 30 goals and only conceding 10. Magpies will need to continue to be strong in defence to prevent Spencer adding to their impressive goal tally.
Magpies will be hoping that their experience of four finals appearances in the last five years will guide them to their second National Mixed Trophy title. The squad are strengthened by the fact that 11 of the players that played last year remain in the squad.
- 1 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 2 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 5 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 'Norfolk was a special place to him' - MPs' tributes to Prince Philip
- 10 Residents asked to leave sheltered housing with building's future in limbo
The team continues to be captained by Magpies Men's first team captain Leigh Sitch while they have welcomed Katherine Ridley, Jess Howland, Lucy Belsey, Laura Tibbenham and Tim Whiteman to the team.
The squad travel to the weekend in high spirits having continued their training regimes in the lead-up to the event, with the league hockey season having finished some time ago.
Everyone in the team is grateful to the sponsors for their continued support this season.
The team will be chosen from Chris Leek (GK), Leigh Sitch (captain), Andrew Bedwell, Katherine Ridley, Jess Howland, Thomas Ridley, Simon Hipwell, Lauren Mickleburgh, Lucy Belsey, Richard Larkin, Tim Whiteman, Lizzie Clymer, Maria Andrews, Robbie Kinsella, Lucy Whiting, Laura Tibbenham and Lauren Barber.
Katrina Sitch is the coach and Kevin Ridley the manager.