Harleston return to top of table
HARLESTON play in the semi-finals of the Norfolk Junior Cup, hosting UEA (2pm) this weekend to earn a place in a Carrow Road final.
Harleston 2, East Harling 1
Harleston returned to the top of Division Three after securing a hard-fought victory over a resolute Harling side in a wind-affected game. Harleston's defended superbly throughout the half.
Harleston keeper Rob Goodwin diverted an effort onto a post. Harling were winning the territorial battle but Harleston restricted their chances well. Harleston found the breakthrough with the best move of the match a fine David Norman through-ball found Jake Imrie in space, he beat his man and rounded the keeper before the ball fell to Fionn Goodwin Wright who netted.
Harling levelled, but Harleston were soon ahead again when Fionn Goodwin Wright's high cut-back was not dealt with by the Harling defence and James Trudgill did well to turn and smash home the winner,. JD Young MoM: midfielder Kieran Passey.
- 1 Meet the TikTok stylist helping people discover their body shapes
- 2 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 3 7 Norfolk food and drink businesses expanding in 2022
- 4 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss
- 5 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 6 Fuel spillage and crash caused delays along A140
- 7 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 8 Fare dodgers and fraudsters pay £4m to Greater Anglia in 2021
- 9 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Harleston played their part in an excellent game but bowed out of the Cyril Ballyn Trophy at the hands of Division Two side Mundford. Harleston took the lead with a fantastic team goal, Dan Burrett surged forward before playing a good one-two with Fionn Goodwin Wright, Burrett then committed his man before laying the ball off to David Norman, whose first-time chip over the defence found James Trudgill who lifted the ball superbly over the keeper.
The Harleston back four were defending superbly. In stoppage time Mundford equalised. Another quality team goal came for Harleston. David Norman held the ball up well before laying it off to Fionn Goodwin Wright who executed a quality ball into the path of Jake Imrie who finished well. Mundford levelled from a free-kick and then added another. JD Young MoM: left-back Lee West.