Harleston take the positives
Southgate 1, Harleston 0HARLESTON travelled to ex-Premier side Southgate buoyed by their win last weekend at the hands of Sevenoaks. On another baking hot day the team started well pressurising Southgate at every opportunity.
Southgate 1, Harleston 0
HARLESTON travelled to ex-Premier side Southgate buoyed by their win last weekend at the hands of Sevenoaks.
On another baking hot day the team started well pressurising Southgate at every opportunity.
The Southgate side despite being young at the back handled the pressure well and continued to play their style of passing hockey very similar to Magpies.
You may also want to watch:
In an even opening 15 minutes, Southgate rattled the post following a good move down their left resulted in a cross which a Southgate forward could only find the post allowing David Ling time to clear.
It was not all one-way traffic Harleston came close to finding an opening when Hipwell was released through the middle forcing the keeper into a fine reflex save.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
Despite good play from both teams for the remainder of the half neither side could find the breakthrough that they craved.
With the scores level at half time both teams had everything to play for in the second half and this showed with some great end-to-end fast paced hockey being played by both sides.
Southgate pressing hard finally found the goal they were looking for after a ball in from the right bobbled past a Magpies player before being finished brilliantly from a tight angle beyond the advancing Harms.
Going a goal down spurred Magpies on looking for a deserved equaliser. Harleston broke down the right releasing Ben Gowing through on goal only for the youngster to be brought down by Mickey Franklin.
With Southgate reduced to 10 men Harleston continued to press for that elusive goal. Hipwell again found himself one-on-one with the keeper who again produced another fine save.
Despite a late push Harleston could not find the vital goal eventually going down 1-0.
Despite the defeat the team feel very confident that they can more than compete in this league and on another day may have come away with at least a point.
This week the team are at home on Saturday facing a strong Holcombe side.