Hockey: Diss find perfect motivation at Sprowston
Sprowston II 0, Diss 2
Historically, games between Diss and Sprowston have been close. And when Diss saw a couple of Sprowston's first team turn up they knew they were going to be in for a hard time in this Norfolk Women's League Division One – especially with defenders Emily Comer out and captain Everett being held up.
Diss were awarded a short corner for a foul in the D, but were unable to convert. Sprowston then had a counter-attack which resulted in a short corner. Diss howed how determined they were and Liv Cates cleared the ball up the pitch for further attacking play from Diss.
Sam Howard ran rings around the Sprowston midfield and defence. She was well supported by Gaby Rolingson on her left and Tash Blakely on the right and Sprowston didn't really stand a chance of getting the ball through. This play resulted in two more short corners, with the second one converted by Toni Glover high into the top of the net after a lovely pass by Blakely.
Diss started the second half with a lot of pressure and this was rewarded with some lovely play between Howard and Glover, resulting in a rebound shot from Sarah Woods going into the net.
You may also want to watch:
This frustrated Sprowston and they then put pressure on the Diss defence, but all their efforts were cleanly halted by the Diss defence.
Howard then had an amazing run right from the defending D through Sprowston's midfield and defence but shot just wide. Sprowston then counter-attacked and Burton was left one-on-one, but saved the shot. Diss continued with good pressure between Howard and Rolingson, as the game ended 2-0.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 3 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 4 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 9 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 10 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
Diss are level on points with leaders Norwich City III, second on goal difference – with the teams meeting on Saturday at UEA (4pm).
PoM: Sam Howard.