Hockey: Diss find perfect motivation at Sprowston
Sprowston II 0, Diss 2
Historically, games between Diss and Sprowston have been close. And when Diss saw a couple of Sprowston's first team turn up they knew they were going to be in for a hard time in this Norfolk Women's League Division One – especially with defenders Emily Comer out and captain Everett being held up.
Diss were awarded a short corner for a foul in the D, but were unable to convert. Sprowston then had a counter-attack which resulted in a short corner. Diss howed how determined they were and Liv Cates cleared the ball up the pitch for further attacking play from Diss.
Sam Howard ran rings around the Sprowston midfield and defence. She was well supported by Gaby Rolingson on her left and Tash Blakely on the right and Sprowston didn't really stand a chance of getting the ball through. This play resulted in two more short corners, with the second one converted by Toni Glover high into the top of the net after a lovely pass by Blakely.
Diss started the second half with a lot of pressure and this was rewarded with some lovely play between Howard and Glover, resulting in a rebound shot from Sarah Woods going into the net.
This frustrated Sprowston and they then put pressure on the Diss defence, but all their efforts were cleanly halted by the Diss defence.
Howard then had an amazing run right from the defending D through Sprowston's midfield and defence but shot just wide. Sprowston then counter-attacked and Burton was left one-on-one, but saved the shot. Diss continued with good pressure between Howard and Rolingson, as the game ended 2-0.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 6 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 7 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 10 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
Diss are level on points with leaders Norwich City III, second on goal difference – with the teams meeting on Saturday at UEA (4pm).
PoM: Sam Howard.