Hockey: Diss share spoils at title rivals Norwich City
Norwich City III 1, Diss 1
This was possibly going to be the game that sorted out who became Norfolk Women's League Division One champions – with the hosts top on goal difference from Diss.
The game started with both sides testing each other out and it was Diss who slowly found themselves on top. Norwich played some nice, controlled hockey, but couldn't get past a determined Diss backline and it was the away side who looked dangerous, especially when winger Lucy Kershaw made her trademark attacks down the wing.
Diss settled into their game and created one or two half chances, but couldn't find the important goal, until top scorer Toni Glover decided to turn on the style and put the visitors ahead with a great shot which beat the City keeper as she came out to narrow the angle.
Diss kept up the pressure, but couldn't add to the score. As the half wore on City came more and more into it and started to put Diss under the cosh for the last 10 minutes of the half. Just as the half-time whistle blew Diss sweeper Pam Keeley made a vital tackle and got her hand sliced open by a City stick and ended up in A&E having to have stitches to the wound.
You may also want to watch:
Diss had to be on their toes, with City coming out for the sceond half on fire.
Diss had a couple of breakaways and Sarah Woods almost scored to double the Diss lead, but with 15 minutes to go, City scored. The City right winger danced into the D and put in a great cross for Jess Harris to crash home. Although City were still the better team it was Diss who looked more dangerous when they broke quickly and had another chance to regain the lead but the City keeper made a good save.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 6 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 7 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 8 Council leader calls for 'zero tolerance' on abuse after MP's death
- 9 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 10 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway