Joe is well on target
A talented young archer from Little Ellingham has won the 2010 National U12's Indoor Archery Tournament.
Joe Ground was presented with his winner's cup and medal by Commonwealth archery gold medallist Nicky Hunt after clinching the title at the recent competition in Telford.
He achieved the accolade just days before his 12th birthday.
Earlier this year a �450 grant from Breckland Council's Gifted and Talented Fund enabled Joe to benefit from one-to-one professional coaching from Mark Wheeler, Tom Barber and Andy Beer to help improve his technique.
Lynda Turner, Breckland Council Executive Support Member for Communities and Benefits, whose son is also an archer, said: 'In archery, developing good habits and technique at an early stage is key to future success, and Joe had reached a point where he would really benefit from professional help.
You may also want to watch:
'The Gifted and Talented Fund is there to nurture and support the development of promising youngsters and the �450 grant enabled Joe to access the expert guidance he needed.'
Joe's mother Elizabeth Ground said: 'Joe has gained enormously from the help Breckland has provided over the past year.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 3 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 4 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 5 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 8 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 9 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 10 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
'The improvement in his technique was reflected in his scores at the tournament which were significantly higher than other boys in his age group.'
Joe has notched up a number of triumphs this year including breaking three county records for his age group and gaining second place in the National Archery Society Young Archer of the Year Award.
His next goal is to join other talented youngsters in the Great Britain archery squad.
For further information about Breckland's Gifted and Talented Fund, contact Breckland's Sports Development Officer Stefan Clifford on 01362 656870 or email firstname.lastname@example.org