Judo star Oates is still a player to be reckoned with
- Credit: PA
Double Olympian Colin Oates sent out a message that he is still a force in British Judo by winning the English Senior Open in Walsall at his new weight of -81k.
Oates, who is still ranked number one at -66k, moved himself up to number five in the British ranking list at the higher weight.
The 33-year-old from North Lopham now has to fund all his training and competitions. At the weekend he defied any age concerns, defeating the British Youth champion in the final but not before disposing of his first three opponents in a category of 22 players.
The next event scheduled for the Kumo Judo Club star is at Breckland Leisure Centre when he will be fighting in the Anglian Team League in the hope of dethroning last year's champions Norwich Premier.
Diss Judo Club is hoping to kick start adult judo classes on May 18 with a free taster session.
You may also want to watch:
Further details from Howard Oates on 01379 688258.
- 1 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 2 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 3 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 4 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 5 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 8 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 9 Norfolk Indian Society's Covid crisis appeal
- 10 New EAAA contract covers 24/7 flying and advanced helicopters