Judo star Oates is still a player to be reckoned with
- Credit: PA
Double Olympian Colin Oates sent out a message that he is still a force in British Judo by winning the English Senior Open in Walsall at his new weight of -81k.
Oates, who is still ranked number one at -66k, moved himself up to number five in the British ranking list at the higher weight.
The 33-year-old from North Lopham now has to fund all his training and competitions. At the weekend he defied any age concerns, defeating the British Youth champion in the final but not before disposing of his first three opponents in a category of 22 players.
The next event scheduled for the Kumo Judo Club star is at Breckland Leisure Centre when he will be fighting in the Anglian Team League in the hope of dethroning last year's champions Norwich Premier.
Diss Judo Club is hoping to kick start adult judo classes on May 18 with a free taster session.
You may also want to watch:
Further details from Howard Oates on 01379 688258.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Want to work on a supercar? Lotus is hiring 200 staff
- 3 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Mental health boss cleared of lying during inquest
- 6 Are we on the verge of a post-Covid mental health crisis?
- 7 Ex-battery hens in need of free-range retirement homes
- 8 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term