Judo star Oates is still a player to be reckoned with
- Credit: PA
Double Olympian Colin Oates sent out a message that he is still a force in British Judo by winning the English Senior Open in Walsall at his new weight of -81k.
Oates, who is still ranked number one at -66k, moved himself up to number five in the British ranking list at the higher weight.
The 33-year-old from North Lopham now has to fund all his training and competitions. At the weekend he defied any age concerns, defeating the British Youth champion in the final but not before disposing of his first three opponents in a category of 22 players.
The next event scheduled for the Kumo Judo Club star is at Breckland Leisure Centre when he will be fighting in the Anglian Team League in the hope of dethroning last year's champions Norwich Premier.
Diss Judo Club is hoping to kick start adult judo classes on May 18 with a free taster session.
You may also want to watch:
Further details from Howard Oates on 01379 688258.
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 5 Funeral directors flooded again as village hit by downpour
- 6 How to upcycle your home during lockdown
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland