Keeper saves Harleston's day
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.
They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
The first half Harleston just about edged it with Matt Goreham going close early on and Finn Goodwin Wright hitting the post from a tight angle.
Marlingford, particularly their midfield, were very strong and hard working, and kept possession well. Keeper green was called on a few times to settle nerves and keep the score level.
You may also want to watch:
The second half Marlingford upped the pace and forced keeper Green into two fine saves, both times going to his left.
Harleston's defence continually broke down the attacks, whilst the team was working out a way through at the other end.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
The last 10 minutes of the game Harleston, upped the pace and went close from a corner after Mark Pierce narrowly missed with his head.
As the game looked to be heading for an entertaining goalless draw, Sam Wilby crossed for Mark Pierce to loop his header over the opposition's goalkeeper and give the Town all three points.
Harleston play away to Marlingford on Saturday. Man of the match: keeper Ben Green and all the back four.