Keeper saves Harleston's day
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.
They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
The first half Harleston just about edged it with Matt Goreham going close early on and Finn Goodwin Wright hitting the post from a tight angle.
Marlingford, particularly their midfield, were very strong and hard working, and kept possession well. Keeper green was called on a few times to settle nerves and keep the score level.
You may also want to watch:
The second half Marlingford upped the pace and forced keeper Green into two fine saves, both times going to his left.
Harleston's defence continually broke down the attacks, whilst the team was working out a way through at the other end.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 6 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 7 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 8 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
- 9 Mysterious boarded up cottage for sale for £200,000
- 10 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
The last 10 minutes of the game Harleston, upped the pace and went close from a corner after Mark Pierce narrowly missed with his head.
As the game looked to be heading for an entertaining goalless draw, Sam Wilby crossed for Mark Pierce to loop his header over the opposition's goalkeeper and give the Town all three points.
Harleston play away to Marlingford on Saturday. Man of the match: keeper Ben Green and all the back four.