Keeper saves Harleston's day
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
Resolute defending and some top-class saves from Ben Green saved the day for Harleston Town, as they continued their pursuit of the league title.
They beat visitors Marlingford 1-0 in their latest Anglian Combination Division Four game.
The first half Harleston just about edged it with Matt Goreham going close early on and Finn Goodwin Wright hitting the post from a tight angle.
Marlingford, particularly their midfield, were very strong and hard working, and kept possession well. Keeper green was called on a few times to settle nerves and keep the score level.
The second half Marlingford upped the pace and forced keeper Green into two fine saves, both times going to his left.
Harleston's defence continually broke down the attacks, whilst the team was working out a way through at the other end.
- 1 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 2 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 3 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Obituary: 'Empathetic' social worker who cared for others her entire life
- 7 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 8 Opinion: Creativity is required as prices rise
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
The last 10 minutes of the game Harleston, upped the pace and went close from a corner after Mark Pierce narrowly missed with his head.
As the game looked to be heading for an entertaining goalless draw, Sam Wilby crossed for Mark Pierce to loop his header over the opposition's goalkeeper and give the Town all three points.
Harleston play away to Marlingford on Saturday. Man of the match: keeper Ben Green and all the back four.