Knockout feeling for Sportif
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.
The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
The three Diss teams had failed to secure a single victory in either the KO Shield or KO Plate since the club entered the league five years ago.
Ironically, all three teams are now through to the second round, thanks to a bye for Diss Vikings and a walkover against Drayton Bob Carter Leisure for Duval.
You may also want to watch:
Sportif got off to a flyer with a 13-3 triples win for Dave Smith, Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby.
It was 2-0 at the interval thanks to a 13-12 success for Liz Rudling, Mick Clarke and John Barsby.
- 1 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 2 Victorian rectory in 5.5 acres for sale for £1.35m
- 3 No Norfolk Covid-19 deaths recorded for first week since September
- 4 'Honour of my life' - Former crime commissioner reflects on time in role
- 5 Turner Prize winner Sir Tony Cragg exhibition opens at Houghton Hall
- 6 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Search for Norfolk neighbours to take on Suffolk in food waste fight
- 9 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 10 Candidate says 7,000 rejected ballots shows PCC voting system flawed
The visitors pulled level with wins in the first two doubles games but in an exciting finale, Clarke and Rudling beat Mick and Janet Wicks 13-10 to put the hosts through.
Norfolk League Knockout Shield, first round: Le Diss Sportif 3, Norwich Blue 2 (aggregate 51-51).
Triples (Diss names first): D Smith, L Penny, Jan Barsby beat D and J Cole, B Taylor 13-3; L Rudling, M Clarke, John Barsby beat E Whatling, T Brenchley, M Bailey 13-12.
Doubles: D Smith, L Penny lost 3-13 to B Taylor, E Whatling; L Rudling, M Clarke beat M and J Wicks 13-10; J and J Barsby lost 9-13 to D and J Cole.