Knockout feeling for Sportif
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.
The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
The three Diss teams had failed to secure a single victory in either the KO Shield or KO Plate since the club entered the league five years ago.
Ironically, all three teams are now through to the second round, thanks to a bye for Diss Vikings and a walkover against Drayton Bob Carter Leisure for Duval.
You may also want to watch:
Sportif got off to a flyer with a 13-3 triples win for Dave Smith, Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby.
It was 2-0 at the interval thanks to a 13-12 success for Liz Rudling, Mick Clarke and John Barsby.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
- 6 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 7 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 10 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
The visitors pulled level with wins in the first two doubles games but in an exciting finale, Clarke and Rudling beat Mick and Janet Wicks 13-10 to put the hosts through.
Norfolk League Knockout Shield, first round: Le Diss Sportif 3, Norwich Blue 2 (aggregate 51-51).
Triples (Diss names first): D Smith, L Penny, Jan Barsby beat D and J Cole, B Taylor 13-3; L Rudling, M Clarke, John Barsby beat E Whatling, T Brenchley, M Bailey 13-12.
Doubles: D Smith, L Penny lost 3-13 to B Taylor, E Whatling; L Rudling, M Clarke beat M and J Wicks 13-10; J and J Barsby lost 9-13 to D and J Cole.