Knockout feeling for Sportif
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.
The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
The three Diss teams had failed to secure a single victory in either the KO Shield or KO Plate since the club entered the league five years ago.
Ironically, all three teams are now through to the second round, thanks to a bye for Diss Vikings and a walkover against Drayton Bob Carter Leisure for Duval.
Sportif got off to a flyer with a 13-3 triples win for Dave Smith, Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby.
It was 2-0 at the interval thanks to a 13-12 success for Liz Rudling, Mick Clarke and John Barsby.
- 1 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 2 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 3 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 4 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 5 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 6 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 7 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
The visitors pulled level with wins in the first two doubles games but in an exciting finale, Clarke and Rudling beat Mick and Janet Wicks 13-10 to put the hosts through.
Norfolk League Knockout Shield, first round: Le Diss Sportif 3, Norwich Blue 2 (aggregate 51-51).
Triples (Diss names first): D Smith, L Penny, Jan Barsby beat D and J Cole, B Taylor 13-3; L Rudling, M Clarke, John Barsby beat E Whatling, T Brenchley, M Bailey 13-12.
Doubles: D Smith, L Penny lost 3-13 to B Taylor, E Whatling; L Rudling, M Clarke beat M and J Wicks 13-10; J and J Barsby lost 9-13 to D and J Cole.