Knockout feeling for Sportif
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.
The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
The three Diss teams had failed to secure a single victory in either the KO Shield or KO Plate since the club entered the league five years ago.
Ironically, all three teams are now through to the second round, thanks to a bye for Diss Vikings and a walkover against Drayton Bob Carter Leisure for Duval.
You may also want to watch:
Sportif got off to a flyer with a 13-3 triples win for Dave Smith, Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby.
It was 2-0 at the interval thanks to a 13-12 success for Liz Rudling, Mick Clarke and John Barsby.
- 1 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 2 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 3 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 4 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 5 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 6 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 7 All you need to know ahead of the Old Buckenham Airshow 2021
- 8 New Covid variants may require jabs for children, UEA experts warn
- 9 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 10 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
The visitors pulled level with wins in the first two doubles games but in an exciting finale, Clarke and Rudling beat Mick and Janet Wicks 13-10 to put the hosts through.
Norfolk League Knockout Shield, first round: Le Diss Sportif 3, Norwich Blue 2 (aggregate 51-51).
Triples (Diss names first): D Smith, L Penny, Jan Barsby beat D and J Cole, B Taylor 13-3; L Rudling, M Clarke, John Barsby beat E Whatling, T Brenchley, M Bailey 13-12.
Doubles: D Smith, L Penny lost 3-13 to B Taylor, E Whatling; L Rudling, M Clarke beat M and J Wicks 13-10; J and J Barsby lost 9-13 to D and J Cole.