Knockout feeling for Sportif
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
LE Diss Sportif have made Diss Waveney Petanque Club history.
The Norfolk League Division Two team finally ended the club's embarrassing run of defeats in the league knockout competitions with a 3-2 victory over Division One team Norwich Blue in the KO Shield.
The three Diss teams had failed to secure a single victory in either the KO Shield or KO Plate since the club entered the league five years ago.
Ironically, all three teams are now through to the second round, thanks to a bye for Diss Vikings and a walkover against Drayton Bob Carter Leisure for Duval.
You may also want to watch:
Sportif got off to a flyer with a 13-3 triples win for Dave Smith, Lindsay Penny and Jan Barsby.
It was 2-0 at the interval thanks to a 13-12 success for Liz Rudling, Mick Clarke and John Barsby.
- 1 Norfolk teacher in national campaign for switching careers
- 2 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 3 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 4 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 5 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 6 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 7 Woman who sold stolen goods on eBay researched shoplifting online
- 8 Covid rates continue to slow but national deaths pass 100,000
- 9 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 10 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
The visitors pulled level with wins in the first two doubles games but in an exciting finale, Clarke and Rudling beat Mick and Janet Wicks 13-10 to put the hosts through.
Norfolk League Knockout Shield, first round: Le Diss Sportif 3, Norwich Blue 2 (aggregate 51-51).
Triples (Diss names first): D Smith, L Penny, Jan Barsby beat D and J Cole, B Taylor 13-3; L Rudling, M Clarke, John Barsby beat E Whatling, T Brenchley, M Bailey 13-12.
Doubles: D Smith, L Penny lost 3-13 to B Taylor, E Whatling; L Rudling, M Clarke beat M and J Wicks 13-10; J and J Barsby lost 9-13 to D and J Cole.