Last-gasp blow for Diss

RUGBY: After the disappointment of the result of last week's game against Civil Service, when they lost with virtually the last play of the game, Diss must pick themselves back up again for the trip to Basingstoke on Saturday.

This is a very different looking Basingstoke team to the one that won there last year, when Diss were 17-3 ahead just before half time and let the lead slip to lose 37-22. Basingstoke has won only once this year, but has lost narrowly on several occasions, and now sit at the bottom of the league having had squad and selection problems. This must be an opportunity for us to pick up some points.

However Diss again are hampered by the unavailability of players, so there are new players added to the squad. Making their debuts will be youngsters Charlie Precious, who has come up through the youth ranks at Diss, and Matt Briggs who has been playing for West Suffolk College.

Squad:- Alistair Abercrombie, Chris Beaird, Aarron Bliss, Pete Bray, Matt Briggs, Craig Burroughs, Will Farrer, Mike Fuller, Adam Goymour, Tim Groom, Fraser Hall, Will Hemmant, Steve Hipwell, Andy Horne, Charlie Precious, Matt Richards, Warren Wilby, Josh Williams.

The Saracens are playing at home against Norwich Union kick off 2.45pm.

Squad:- Davidson, Prior, Gaughin, Peachey, Dale, Hall, Jacobs, Chartier, Courridge, West, Knapp, O'Farrell, Harvey, Trede, Cayley.

Most Read

Diss 17, Civil Service 18.

DESPITE a complete domination by the pack, Diss were beaten in the last minutes by a penalty kick.

After the visitors' coach broke down it was agreed that, provided the first half and at least 20 minutes of the second half had been played, then if bad light caused the fixture to be called off, the score as it then was would stand as the final result.

Unfortunately for Diss, with 20 minutes of the second half played, and with Diss in the lead, the light improved!

Civil Service were the first to put points on the board, when they were awarded a penalty kick in front of the posts. When Diss were awarded a penalty, they opted for the scrum, and Andy Horne broke from No 8 to score, Chris Beaird converted.

The match swung from end to end, with Diss benefiting at the end of the first half from a disrupted visitors' scrum and poor handling, when Chris Beaird who touched the ball down at the base of the post for another try, converted for 14-8.

Diss started the second half again pressing the visitors, but were never able to make the telling break or pass, and a break by the visitors No 13 put their winger in under the posts for an easy seven points. Back came the Diss pack and their hard work resulted in a penalty kick for Chris Beaird, which cork-screwed its way between the posts.

If the rain and dark clouds had caused a finish of the game then, Diss would have won. But, however much Diss tried, they could not find that final score that would have finished the game, and as it was, the visitors were awarded a penalty which their No 10 put between the posts.

This was an opportunity missed for Diss, who will need something positive from the next game at bottom club Basingstoke to kick-start their season again.