Late Hayhoe penalty save ensures Diss Town pick up a point
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town shared the spoils for the second time this season with Halstead Town, with a late penalty save from Jake Hayhoe earning them a point.
Manager Jason Cook was forced to make changes to the team that had played the previous two games.
Sol Pope moved into central defence to replace the suspended Jack Tipple, with Wesley Doyle coming in at right back.
Halstead had the early pressure and had already struck a post before going into a sixth minute lead when Adam Hampson hit a left foot shot from the edge of they area which flew into the corner of the net.
Diss came more into the contest and had strong penalty appeals turned down when goalkeeper Laurence Whymark rushed out and went through Virgilio Leitao to kick the ball out for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
The Tangerines then scored twice in two minutes to turn the game around. The first goal, in the 37th minute, came in spectacular style after a long downfield kick from Hayhoe. Leitao chased it to just outside the penalty area on the left and floated a shot over the goalkeeper for his 11th goal of the season. Then a centre from Charlie Lambe was headed out to Stephen Vincent 20 yards out who hit a left foot shot which deflected off a defender and curled in.
Early in the second half Leitao used his strength to hold off defenders to a pass from Nuno Nogueira and was just wide with his shot.
- 1 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 2 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 3 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Council leader calls for 'zero tolerance' on abuse after MP's death
- 6 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 7 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Parish council chair says he'll stop development trucks
Halstead equalised in the 65th minute when a winger was given to much time and space on the right before sending over a cross for Pavett to head into the top corner.
Diss continued to attack well and Phil Myles forced Whymark to palm away a 20 yard shot but in the 84th minute a tangle involving Pope and Hampson after a cross was headed down ended with a penalty being awarded to Halstead. After a long delay for treatment to Hampson and arguments about the decision, Hayhoe dived to swoop on the weakly hit penalty from Kane Gilbert.
Diss: Hayhoe, Doyle, Smith, Pope, Ramsay, Vincent, Gathercole, Nogueira, Leitao, Fena, Lambe.
Subs: Goulding (Leitao 75), Cooke, Myles (Gathercole 75). Attendance: 81.
Diss visit Woodbridge Town on Saturday (3pm) and are at home to Framlingham Town next Tuesday (7.45pm).