Late, late show by Harleston

Newton Flotman 1, Harleston Town 3

HARLESTON had to be patient to come away with the points on Saturday, with three goals in the last 10 minutes finally seeing off a resilient Newton Flotman side.

Town were once again forced into changes with a number of players unavailable.

Ryan London returned to the starting line-up, Paul Bliss was moved to midfield, with Fionn Goodwin Wright switching to the wing. Robbie Rogers was handed his first start following impressive outings from the bench and new signing Ben Green was amongst the substitutes.

Despite a poor surface, Harleston did manage to play some good passing moves.

Robbie Rogers was looking lively up front and went close with a couple of half-chances early on. Rogers' pace continued to cause problems all half as he fired wide on two occasions when well placed before bravely going in with the keeper, only to see his effort cleared.

Town were dominating possession as Flotman looked to counter with early balls to their dangerous forward, who went close on two occasions, shaving the bar with one effort.

Most Read

The dangerous Jake Imrie got himself through on goal, only to fire straight at the keeper, before David Norman did the same with a similar chance moments later. Despite their dominance Town could not find a goal as the half ended goalless.

Harleston came out for the second half looking to gain that all-important breakthrough, but it was the hosts who piled on the early pressure, with Harleston having to defend a number of corners in quick succession, which they dealt with well, with Rob Goodwin making some great stops.

Harleston soon regained their rhythm as Andrew Morris and Paul Bliss began to dominate proceedings in the middle of the park.

Rogers again went agonisingly close before Ryan London and Paul Bliss both just missed the target.

The hosts continued to try and counter, but their lively forward was being superbly marshalled by Ryan London. Ben Green was introduced into the fray by Harleston, but he headed wide when well placed before having a shot saved.

It looked as if it would not be Harleston's day, but they stayed patient, something they have struggled to do in previous seasons, often letting frustration get the better of them.

This patience was finally rewarded when on 80 minutes Fionn Goodwin Wright collected a pass from David Norman before keeping his cool and beating the keeper to open the scoring.

This goal lifted Harleston and two minutes later they doubled their advantage when Jake Imrie made no mistake this time when one-on-one with the keeper.

With five minutes to go, the game was put beyond doubt when Imrie produced and outstanding finish to claim his 13th goal of the season.

Town still had further chances to extend their lead, with the Flotman keeper producing good saves from Craig Trudgill and Ben Green.

With almost the last kick of the game, the hosts pulled back a consolation goal when the ball was bundled over the line from close range after Gooodwin failed to hold onto a Flotman free-kick.

J D Yong man of the match: Ryan London for an outstanding display at centre-half, keeping a very good striker quiet.