Late penalty blow for Tangerines
Diss Reserves were beaten 3-2 by their hosts Thetford Reserves in Ridgeons Reserve League North.Both teams produced an entertaining first half. The second half was less hectic as the hot afternoon and firm pitch caused players to toil.
Diss Reserves were beaten 3-2 by their hosts Thetford Reserves in Ridgeons Reserve League North.
Both teams produced an entertaining first half.
The second half was less hectic as the hot afternoon and firm pitch caused players to toil. The match was decided by a late penalty award to Thetford.
Early play was end to end with Mark Camidge using his feet to deny Leon Campbell in the 12th minute and Luke Wheeler making a fine block a minute later as Karl Ansley moved on to a Nathan Brown centre.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell was high when he had a fine chance to open the scoring in the 17th minute.
Thetford took the lead in the 20th minute when a long ball over the top allowed Tony Smith to run through and float his shot over Camidge.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Prince Charles says royal family are 'deeply grateful' for public support following Prince Philip death
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 Still time to have your say on town's future as bypass plans go in
- 10 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
Campbell brought a cross from the left down with his chest and shot in from ten yards out to make it 2-0 in the 32nd minute.
The Tangerines finished the first half strongly. Jon Abbott hit a 22-yard free-kick low in the 36th minute.
Wheeler dived to his left to push it on to his post and Ray Baker shot in from less than a yard out for his first goal for Diss.
Three minutes later Diss made it 2-2 when Ansley went on a fine run and played a perfect through ball for Jake McDowall to moved clear and strike a perfect right-foot shot low into the corner of the net from just inside the penalty area for his fifth Reserve team goal of the season.
Steve Jermy came close to a goal when he hit the side netting to a McDowall pass just before half-time.
Baker forced Wheeler into a 51st-minute save after Jermy ran into the penalty area and crossed low from the left. Alex Rowe was only just wide after he ran more than 30 yards into the heart of the Diss defence in the 68th minute.
Ian Edwards was ruled to have handled a 75th-minute shot and Thetford were awarded a penalty kick. Campbell scored to make it 3-2.
Camidge saved well from Jason Conroy and Jermy was only just high after a free-kick from Ansley in a lively finish to the game.
Diss Man of the Match: Another all action midfield display from Steve Jermy, who has been a great addition to the squad this season.
Diss team: Mark Camidge, Sean Cook, Nathan Brown, Max Rissmann, Matty Garnham, Steve Jermy, Karl Ansley, Ian Edwards, Ray Baker, Jake McDowall, Jon Abbott.
Diss sub: Ray Barrett (for Baker 79 mins).
Diss Reserves complete their league season next week - they will be at home to Stowmarket Reserves on Saturday (kick off 3pm) and away at Woodbridge Reserves on Thursday, April 30 (kick off 7.45pm).