League’s top scorer keeps Harleston on the winning trail

Nicky Howell bagged a brace for Harleston at Wroxham Reserves. Photo: Denise Bradley.

Nicky Howell bagged a brace for Harleston at Wroxham Reserves. Photo: Denise Bradley. - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017

Harleston Town recorded their eighth successive victory with a 2-0 defeat of St Andrews at The Rec on Saturday in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.

Skipper Nick Howell was absent as were Olly and Sam WIllis, so teenager Jimmy Morrissey was handed his first first-team start for the club.

Nathan Russell returned to the side with Olly WIllis. Adam WIllis and Jordan Blyth added to the subs bench alongside youngster Cam Russell.

Harleston started the game well and made their early pressure tell when they took the lead inside five minutes when the returning Nathan Russell, the Premier Division's leading scorer, headed home his 24th goal of the season.

Town continued to pile on the pressure for the remainder of the half but were unable to add to their lead and went into the break just a goal to the good.

Early in the second half the game became marred in controversy when the referee allowed a St Andrews player back on the pitch without being signalled on. Brendan Burke was then somehow given two yellow cards in succession for pointing out to the ref that this was not allowed.

The protests continued and a member of Town's back room staff was also sent from the dug out.

Most Read

When things settled down, Town continued to push forward but could not find the crucial second goal. Eventually, with full time approaching, Town's nerves were settled and the game was made safe when Scott Roberts scored.

Harleston: Viner, Hitch, Howard, Furlong, Burke, Roberts, Page, N Russell, Delaney. Morrissey, Pipe. Subs: C Russell, Blyth, A WIllis.

Harleston's winning run continued on Tuesday night when they came away from Wroxham Reserves with a 3-1 victory.

Nicky Howell scored twice, with Scott Roberts also on target for Harleston.

It means Adam Gusterson's side remain in second place, but closed the gap between them and Spixworth to 11 points – although Harleston have two games in hand.

Harleston Reserves' four-month unbeaten run ended at Great Yarmouth Reserves when they went down 3-1. Kieran Passey netted for Town.