League’s top scorer keeps Harleston on the winning trail
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Harleston Town recorded their eighth successive victory with a 2-0 defeat of St Andrews at The Rec on Saturday in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.
Skipper Nick Howell was absent as were Olly and Sam WIllis, so teenager Jimmy Morrissey was handed his first first-team start for the club.
Nathan Russell returned to the side with Olly WIllis. Adam WIllis and Jordan Blyth added to the subs bench alongside youngster Cam Russell.
Harleston started the game well and made their early pressure tell when they took the lead inside five minutes when the returning Nathan Russell, the Premier Division's leading scorer, headed home his 24th goal of the season.
Town continued to pile on the pressure for the remainder of the half but were unable to add to their lead and went into the break just a goal to the good.
Early in the second half the game became marred in controversy when the referee allowed a St Andrews player back on the pitch without being signalled on. Brendan Burke was then somehow given two yellow cards in succession for pointing out to the ref that this was not allowed.
The protests continued and a member of Town's back room staff was also sent from the dug out.
- 1 Woman accused of stealing £11k of printer ink across East Anglia
- 2 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 3 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 4 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 5 Man could stand trial after motorcyclist death in B1113 crash
- 6 Spanish street food business gets residency at Norfolk pub
- 7 Biogas plan in south Norfolk village leads to road safety fears
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Disruptions likely after warnings of dense fog set to last two days
When things settled down, Town continued to push forward but could not find the crucial second goal. Eventually, with full time approaching, Town's nerves were settled and the game was made safe when Scott Roberts scored.
Harleston: Viner, Hitch, Howard, Furlong, Burke, Roberts, Page, N Russell, Delaney. Morrissey, Pipe. Subs: C Russell, Blyth, A WIllis.
Harleston's winning run continued on Tuesday night when they came away from Wroxham Reserves with a 3-1 victory.
Nicky Howell scored twice, with Scott Roberts also on target for Harleston.
It means Adam Gusterson's side remain in second place, but closed the gap between them and Spixworth to 11 points – although Harleston have two games in hand.
Harleston Reserves' four-month unbeaten run ended at Great Yarmouth Reserves when they went down 3-1. Kieran Passey netted for Town.