League’s top scorer keeps Harleston on the winning trail
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Harleston Town recorded their eighth successive victory with a 2-0 defeat of St Andrews at The Rec on Saturday in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.
Skipper Nick Howell was absent as were Olly and Sam WIllis, so teenager Jimmy Morrissey was handed his first first-team start for the club.
Nathan Russell returned to the side with Olly WIllis. Adam WIllis and Jordan Blyth added to the subs bench alongside youngster Cam Russell.
Harleston started the game well and made their early pressure tell when they took the lead inside five minutes when the returning Nathan Russell, the Premier Division's leading scorer, headed home his 24th goal of the season.
Town continued to pile on the pressure for the remainder of the half but were unable to add to their lead and went into the break just a goal to the good.
You may also want to watch:
Early in the second half the game became marred in controversy when the referee allowed a St Andrews player back on the pitch without being signalled on. Brendan Burke was then somehow given two yellow cards in succession for pointing out to the ref that this was not allowed.
The protests continued and a member of Town's back room staff was also sent from the dug out.
- 1 Diss kickboxer, 17, to fight for Great Britain at world championships
- 2 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 3 Diss RAF hero who lost both legs nominated for national award
- 4 Towns and villages across Norfolk to get a Covid memorial plaque
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 7 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 8 'Be kind... be thoughtful' - Paramedic's plea for fuel calm goes viral
- 9 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 10 Norfolk teenage country star seeks guitarist to fulfill touring dream
When things settled down, Town continued to push forward but could not find the crucial second goal. Eventually, with full time approaching, Town's nerves were settled and the game was made safe when Scott Roberts scored.
Harleston: Viner, Hitch, Howard, Furlong, Burke, Roberts, Page, N Russell, Delaney. Morrissey, Pipe. Subs: C Russell, Blyth, A WIllis.
Harleston's winning run continued on Tuesday night when they came away from Wroxham Reserves with a 3-1 victory.
Nicky Howell scored twice, with Scott Roberts also on target for Harleston.
It means Adam Gusterson's side remain in second place, but closed the gap between them and Spixworth to 11 points – although Harleston have two games in hand.
Harleston Reserves' four-month unbeaten run ended at Great Yarmouth Reserves when they went down 3-1. Kieran Passey netted for Town.