Magpies Hockey Club all set for season
Harleston Magpies, completed their build-up to the National Hockey League season with a visit to the PLUM tournament at Chelmsford.
They beat Staines 3-2 and St Albans, newly-promoted to the East Conference, 4-2. A comprehensive victory over Bishops Stortford completed the weekend's programme.
An extensive range of games have been completed with all squad players getting good pitch time, this will be good experience for the younger players and has given the seasoned campaigners an opportunity to play in different positions.
Gareth Furlong returns to the squad following his recent full international debut for Wales. Carl Sitch makes a welcome return to the club whilst on a work placement locally, Toby Tibbenham also returns on a full-time basis having returned to the area from university. Duncan Graves, fit again following illness, Callum Callinan and Marc Lloyd both have joined the club and all are in the training squad. Will Martin, who has come through the club's youth system, is included following encouraging performances in friendlies.
This weekend Southgate are the visitors to Weybread with a 2.15pm push-back.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors are a mixture of youth and experience and will certainly prove a test for the Norfolk side. The game will be preceded by a veterans' game, push-back 11am, the visitors will also be Southgate, who recently hosted the international tournament which Magpies won.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
- 6 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 7 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 10 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
Magpies Men's IV have found some good early-season form, producing a victory in their first outing, an impressive 7–2 victory over Norwich City III.
Despite the convincing score it was Norwich, who play their competitive hockey in a league below, who took the lead with a close-range snap shot.
Magpies responded well to this early setback, gaining confidence in defence and control of the midfield which opened up many scoring opportunities. By half-time Magpies had made it 3–1 and eventually ran out comfortable winners, goals coming from Richard Larking, Andy Caston, Stuart Peters, Elliot Smith and a hat-trick from Toby Hughes.
A well-worked second for Norwich late in the game completed the scoreline.