Magpies Hockey Club all set for season
Harleston Magpies, completed their build-up to the National Hockey League season with a visit to the PLUM tournament at Chelmsford.
They beat Staines 3-2 and St Albans, newly-promoted to the East Conference, 4-2. A comprehensive victory over Bishops Stortford completed the weekend's programme.
An extensive range of games have been completed with all squad players getting good pitch time, this will be good experience for the younger players and has given the seasoned campaigners an opportunity to play in different positions.
Gareth Furlong returns to the squad following his recent full international debut for Wales. Carl Sitch makes a welcome return to the club whilst on a work placement locally, Toby Tibbenham also returns on a full-time basis having returned to the area from university. Duncan Graves, fit again following illness, Callum Callinan and Marc Lloyd both have joined the club and all are in the training squad. Will Martin, who has come through the club's youth system, is included following encouraging performances in friendlies.
This weekend Southgate are the visitors to Weybread with a 2.15pm push-back.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors are a mixture of youth and experience and will certainly prove a test for the Norfolk side. The game will be preceded by a veterans' game, push-back 11am, the visitors will also be Southgate, who recently hosted the international tournament which Magpies won.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 4 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 7 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 8 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 9 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 10 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
Magpies Men's IV have found some good early-season form, producing a victory in their first outing, an impressive 7–2 victory over Norwich City III.
Despite the convincing score it was Norwich, who play their competitive hockey in a league below, who took the lead with a close-range snap shot.
Magpies responded well to this early setback, gaining confidence in defence and control of the midfield which opened up many scoring opportunities. By half-time Magpies had made it 3–1 and eventually ran out comfortable winners, goals coming from Richard Larking, Andy Caston, Stuart Peters, Elliot Smith and a hat-trick from Toby Hughes.
A well-worked second for Norwich late in the game completed the scoreline.