Magpies through to national final
Harleston Magpies U18 Girls won the East Indoor Club Finals at Colchester to qualify for the National Finals at Sheffield on January 23 and 24.Magpies started with a comfortable win against Saffron Walden 6-0 with goals from Cherry Seaborn 2, Verity Blyth 2, Lauren Barber and Bryony Lund.
Harleston Magpies U18 Girls won the East Indoor Club Finals at Colchester to qualify for the National Finals at Sheffield on January 23 and 24.
Magpies started with a comfortable win against Saffron Walden 6-0 with goals from Cherry Seaborn 2, Verity Blyth 2, Lauren Barber and Bryony Lund. Sudbury were beaten 7-0 with the goal scorers Cherry Seaborn 2, Bryony Lund 2, Verity Blyth 2 and Emily Wilford.
The first crunch game came against Chelmsford and in a tight first half Magpies led 1-0 at half time thanks to Cherry Seaborn. In the second half Magpies became stronger and increasingly dominant as short corner goals from Bryony Lund and Cherry Seaborn confirmed their superiority.
In the final game against Canterbury Magpies took an early lead through Cherry Seaborn but Canterbury hit back to level the scores. Calianne Clark was in excellent form in goal dealing with the Canterbury penalty corners and in the end Magpies again dominated the second half with goals from Emily Wilford 2, Verity Blyth and Bryony Lund.
You may also want to watch:
Magpies worked really hard as a team and that is reflected by the fact that they only conceded one goal in four games and were superbly led by Bryony Lund as captain.
Magpies are now faced by a real problem as for the first time ever England Hockey have arranged the finals on the same day as the first team are involved in crucial Indoor League Division 1 matches and as many of the U18s play in the first team it is unreasonable to penalise either team.
- 1 'Power of the high vis jacket' - Out with town's Covid watchdogs
- 2 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 6 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 7 Every Child Online - New campaign to get laptops and devices to children
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
- 10 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
Squad: Bryony Lund (Capt), Calianne Clark, Lauren Barber, Amy Brook, Rebecca Banham, Laura Tibbenham, Emily Wilford, Verity Blyth, Lucy Chubbock and Cherry Seaborn.