Medals delight for Otters
Diss Otters took a break from their usual pool competitions to try out Open Water and Sea swimming during the summer. Both disciplines are usually the forte of triathletes, however, the Otters exceeded all expectations, blazing to a clutch of medals.
Diss Otters took a break from their usual pool competitions to try out Open Water and Sea swimming during the summer.
Both disciplines are usually the forte of triathletes, however, the Otters exceeded all expectations, blazing to a clutch of medals.
The combined East Region and Norfolk County Open Water championships were held at Whitlingham Lakes, Norwich with the competition held over distances ranging from 800m to 5,000m.
Katie Bull won both regional and county gold in the ladies 1,500m event for her age group.
In the same event, Jamie Rush won Norfolk gold and east region bronze in his age group and
12-year-old Carly Rose won Norfolk gold
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 6 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 7 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 10 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
In the 5,000m event, Ryan Hargrave swam for almost 100 minutes to claim Norfolk gold and east region bronze in his age group. Liam Osborne won Norfolk County age group gold in the 3,000m swim.
In the 800m race Rachel Barmby, 15, won Norfolk gold in her age group. In the 12-year-age group there was a Norfolk silver medal for Emily Lutkin. There were also excellent swims from Katie Nash, Elly Osborne and Laura Hayden. In the team event, the Otters (Nash, Rush, Osborne, Hargrave) were sixth.
Lowestoft Pier to Pier race (Ottters results): Dina Thornton won ladies vets' category in 17:06. Liam Osborne was the first Otter to finish in 14:09 to take sixth place in the men's open age. Adam Lelean (14:51) finished second in the men's vet category and Jamie Rush (14.59) who was seventh in men's open.
Other timings: Len Phoenix (16.08), Liam Harvey (16.09), Mike Hoy (17.07), Carly Rose (20.00), Rachel Barmby (20.27), Martin Hayes (30.35), Anna Parsons (33.04), Laura Hayden (33.06), Emily Lutkin (33.06), Jack Braithwaite (33.10), Maya Harris (36.17), Molly Braithwaite (36.18) and Nicky Braithwaite (36.18).
Bethany Palmer, 11, didn't finish but full credit for trying on a wet, windy day.