Medals joy for cadets
Air cadets from 1070 (Diss) Squadron had a great weekend at the Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Athletics competition, bringing home four medals!Teams from across Norfolk and Suffolk met at Kings Lynn on Sunday for a day of track and field, and Diss squadron, who haven't won a medal there for some years, came 3rd in the Junior Boys class (13-15 years).
Air cadets from 1070 (Diss) Squadron had a great weekend at the Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Athletics competition, bringing home four medals!
Teams from across Norfolk and Suffolk met at Kings Lynn on Sunday for a day of track and field, and Diss squadron, who haven't won a medal there for some years, came 3rd in the Junior Boys class (13-15 years).
Medal winner Cadet Connor Keightley (14), who has been with the squadron for nine months, said: 'It was such an amazing day. I've never won a medal in anything before but I came home with a bronze in the shot putt. It's such a great feeling!'
The cadets from Diss Squadron won bronze medals in the Junior Boys' shot putt and long jump and a bronze in the Junior Men's high jump.
You may also want to watch:
Achievement of the day though went to 1070 (Diss) Squadron's newest recruit Cadet Harry Purves, who took home gold in the Junior Boys' Javelin.
Not only did he achieve a personal best but he also now goes on to represent Norfolk and Suffolk at the Regional Athletics event on May 31, earning him a 'Wing Blue'.
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 5 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 How to upcycle your home during lockdown
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Funeral directors flooded again as village hit by downpour
Flight Lieutenant Emma Dixon, who took over command of 1070 (Diss) Sqn on Thursday, said: 'Our cadets are just going from strength to strength. They are such great young people, I'm very proud of them all!'
Winners were - Junior Boys: Cadet Harry Purves, Gold (javelin); Cpl Kyle Schooley, Bronze (long jump); Cadet Connor Keightley, bronze (shot putt); Cpl Joss Knight, bronze in the Junior Men's high jump.
To get involved as an adult instructor and help shape the future of tomorrow's leaders is easy. Anyone who has a few spare hours a week is welcome in the Air Cadets.
To find out more information log on to www.aircadets.org or call 0845 600 6601 for an information pack.
Diss Air Cadets parade every Tuesday and Thursday, at the Drill Hall, Sunnyside, Diss from 7pm till 9.30pm and welcome all young people aged between 13 and 18 years.