Medals joy for cadets
Air cadets from 1070 (Diss) Squadron had a great weekend at the Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Athletics competition, bringing home four medals!Teams from across Norfolk and Suffolk met at Kings Lynn on Sunday for a day of track and field, and Diss squadron, who haven't won a medal there for some years, came 3rd in the Junior Boys class (13-15 years).
Air cadets from 1070 (Diss) Squadron had a great weekend at the Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Athletics competition, bringing home four medals!
Teams from across Norfolk and Suffolk met at Kings Lynn on Sunday for a day of track and field, and Diss squadron, who haven't won a medal there for some years, came 3rd in the Junior Boys class (13-15 years).
Medal winner Cadet Connor Keightley (14), who has been with the squadron for nine months, said: 'It was such an amazing day. I've never won a medal in anything before but I came home with a bronze in the shot putt. It's such a great feeling!'
The cadets from Diss Squadron won bronze medals in the Junior Boys' shot putt and long jump and a bronze in the Junior Men's high jump.
Achievement of the day though went to 1070 (Diss) Squadron's newest recruit Cadet Harry Purves, who took home gold in the Junior Boys' Javelin.
Not only did he achieve a personal best but he also now goes on to represent Norfolk and Suffolk at the Regional Athletics event on May 31, earning him a 'Wing Blue'.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 The 4 most wanted men in Norfolk
Flight Lieutenant Emma Dixon, who took over command of 1070 (Diss) Sqn on Thursday, said: 'Our cadets are just going from strength to strength. They are such great young people, I'm very proud of them all!'
Winners were - Junior Boys: Cadet Harry Purves, Gold (javelin); Cpl Kyle Schooley, Bronze (long jump); Cadet Connor Keightley, bronze (shot putt); Cpl Joss Knight, bronze in the Junior Men's high jump.
To get involved as an adult instructor and help shape the future of tomorrow's leaders is easy. Anyone who has a few spare hours a week is welcome in the Air Cadets.
To find out more information log on to www.aircadets.org or call 0845 600 6601 for an information pack.
Diss Air Cadets parade every Tuesday and Thursday, at the Drill Hall, Sunnyside, Diss from 7pm till 9.30pm and welcome all young people aged between 13 and 18 years.