Monk's smashing victory on tables
THE Diss and District Table Tennis League, which is sponsored by Leisure Sport and Speedy Bat Sports, held its annual league championships on Sunday at the Hartismere Sports Centre in Eye.
THE Diss and District League held its annual league championships on Sunday at the Hartismere Sports Centre, Eye.
The Open Singles semi-finals produced three Pulham players but the eventual winner was Shotguns' John Monk.
Monk beat James Skilleter 11-7, 2-11, 11-5, 11-7 in his semi whilst Steve Pendle trounced Francis Webb 11-5, 11-6, 11-5. Monk was in fine form and overcame Pendle 11-3, 9-11, 11-6, 12-10.
In the Open Doubles Peter Maybury and James Skilleter, beat last season's winners Steve Pendle and Francis Webb in their semi 11-9, 14-16, 11-8, 6-11, 11-7.
John Monk and Trevor Cottee beat Stuart Langridge and David Mortlock 9-11, 11-8, 11-4, 11-6. The final was also a battle, Maybury/Skilleter taking a two-leg lead before Monk/Cottee drew level to set up a fifth-leg decider which Maybury/Skilleter won
11-4, 11-5, 6-11, 8-11, 11-8.
- 1 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Meet Norfolk's own Karate Kid - who hopes to compete on world stage
- 3 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 4 Nissen hut conversion approved despite holiday home noise concerns
- 5 Fresh plans for controversial waste plant revealed
- 6 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces
- 7 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 8 Rare 19th century painting found in Norfolk home sells for £160k
- 9 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 10 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
In the Handicap singles Jason Evans (+5) beat Steve Pendle (-2) with a +9 start 25-10, 25-14 in the first semi and Darren Hubbard (+8) beat Richard Pursehouse (+14) with an eight-point deficit 25-21, 25-20. The final saw Hubbard have a five-point advantage over Evans and he went on to win 25-17, 25-13.
In the U14 singles event Nathan Lamb beat both Holly Fleming
5-11, 12-10, 8-11, 13-11, 11-9 and James Briddon 6-11, 11-8, 3-11,
11-9, 14-12 to take the title. In the U18 singles event Darren Hubbard beat Kieran Brady 11-5, 11-4, 11-9 and George Cole 12-10, 11-8, 11-7 for a comfortable win.
In the first division Terry Rayner/Richard Pursehouse won the doubles beating Kieran Brady/John Williams 11-5, 14-12.
In the singles events Pursehouse beat Williams in one semi 13-11, 12-10, 11-5 whilst Nigel Bowen was beating Mark Beswick 11-7, 9-11, 11-6, 11-4. In the final Bowen beat Purshehouse 11-4, 11-6, 3-11, 11-8.
In the Over 18's and Under 40's singles event James Skilleter beat David Mortlock 11-7, 11-6, 11-5.
The Over 40's Singles final saw John Monk get the better of Steve Pendle 7-11, 11-2, 11-7, 6-11, 11-6.
In the Over 50's Singles final Francis Webb was made to work for his victory by Nigel Bowen
11-7, 11-8, 11-4, 11-4.
In the Over 60's Singles Stuart Langridge beat Adrian Key in the deciding group match 11-3, 11-8,